Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: 99 $15/$30 online... bad fold?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone like raising the turn with the intention of folding to a 3-bet and taking a free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

-Brad

[/ QUOTE ]
In my opinion raising for a free showdown here with the intention of folding to a three bet would not be sound strategy. The problem with this strategy is that if you do get 3 bet, You will be getting a minimum of 13-1 to call assuming the middle guy folds. If your opponent has the flush you will be folding a live 4 outer. In this case you would be folding a profitable draw too often. It is best to avoid this sticky situation and just call the turn if you want to continue in the hand.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious, is the 99 raise from MP after two limpers standard here?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not standard, opening with 99 in middle position is standard. Any time you have one or more opponents already committed to the pot whether to call with 99 or raise with 99 depends on your opponents behind you. For instance if there were a lot of tight limpers behind you, than you should raise to isolate one opponent. If you think most of the opponents behind you will call if you do raise, than you should also raise and hope to build a 5-6 way large pot, and hope to flop a set. When your raise is unlikely to get one on one or 5 opponents involved than its better to limp in my opinion. In this problem with two opponents already committed you should be limping along most of the time, unless you believe your raise will be called behind in several places.
Wes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually a flop raise is not the optimal situation what so ever.

You want to protect your vulnerable hand and raise the turn, if you can get any of them to fold a 6 outer more power to you. Raising the flop will only tie them into the pot. The 7 is indeed a scare card, but who cares, would be much worse if that J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] catches.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this logic, the flop raise is for value. Additionally, since we are last to act on the turn, our raising wouldn't shut out any hands since everyone has already payed one bet before it gets to us.

Gabe
Old 08-26-2005, 05:31 PM

If I am SB, I am firing on this flop with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw 100% of the time hoping that the pfr raises it up. When the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits, I am firing again.

If I am hero, I am raising this flop. If SB calls and then fires when the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits, you may have a reasonable fold. But since hero just called we really have no idea what SB's turn bet means.

I raise the flop and reevaluate after that. Not rasing this flop is not good IMHO.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to disagree with the posters who advocate raising the flop. You have a vulnerable hand that you'd like to protect

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, you do, but you are in no position to do so. Your raise wil NEVER face anyone with 2 bets cold, so even overcards will be correct to call your turn raise. Hand protection is important, but IMO it is simply not possible in this situation, so raise the flop to charge the draws.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 PM

What if you think the 1st guy could 3-bet?

But I do see what you're saying...
Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 PM

the flop is a no brainer raise as everyone has said. your hand is too vulnerable to wait until the turn and james has made the largest contribution to this thread.

after you decided to smooth call the flop however, i do agree with the turn fold when not holding a heart. i would like to hear some more discussion on this controversial part of the hand.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:08 AM

I'm not folding an overpair here for one bet just because of a scare card. He's as likely to be betting A4 here as a hand that beats you. Blinds love betting out with weak hands into pf raisers, apparently because it works. Raise the flop for value and to show the sb you don't believe him. If he keeps betting reassess. Your weak call on the flop is just begging to be pushed out on the turn, and the sb couldn't ask for a better card to do it with.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: And the advice given up to this point from other posters. . . .

Well if it was results oriented people would have told me to at least call down as I woulda been good this hand
Old 08-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Results

River comes some blank. Small blind bets again and UTG + 1 calls again. Small blind shows AJo and UTG + 1 shows 66 to take it down.