Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 07:11 AM

Default 99 $15/$30 online... bad fold?

Haven't played a full game online for a while, so I'm a little rusty. No real reads on anyone this hand.

Preflop: UTG limps, UTG +1 limps, I raise from mp2 or so with black 99, folded to small blind who calls, big blind calls, two limpers call.

Flop: 7s 4h 2h. Small blind fires, UTG calls, UTG + 1 calls, I call.

Turn: 7h. Small blind fires again, UTG folds, UTG +1 calls, I fold.

Comments?
Old 08-26-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: 99 $15/$30 online... bad fold?

Yup. SB could have any PP or even a hand like A4. Yu showed no strength on the flop (presumably hoping for a safe turn card to raise)...of course you see one of the worst possible turn cards but I think given your flop line you are committed to calling down (9:1 is almost enough to draw to full house even if we assume SB has a flush and limper is drawing to one). Worst hand SB could have would be one with a 7 but wouldnt SB gone for c/r on flop with a 7? I'd call turn and call 1 bet on river unless it is a non-9 heart.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:51 AM

This is a tough spot since you dont have a line on your oppononent. For instance if you knew that your opponent would checkraise the flop if he had a made hand and lead out if he had a draw than you would know he cannot have a 7, and since there were two openended straights on the board he still may not have the flush, so you should continue. And if he would bet a made hand or a draw on the flop, well then he could still have somethinging like 66,88. Either way, this is a very tough spot where knowing your opponent is absolutely critical. That said, not knowing my opponent i would fold here and live to fight another day.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a tough spot since you dont have a line on your oppononent. For instance if you knew that your opponent would checkraise the flop if he had a made hand and lead out if he had a draw than you would know he cannot have a 7, and since there were two openended straights on the board he still may not have the flush, so you should continue. And if he would bet a made hand or a draw on the flop, well then he could still have somethinging like 66,88. Either way, this is a very tough spot where knowing your opponent is absolutely critical. That said, not knowing my opponent i would fold here and live to fight another day.

[/ QUOTE ]

because, living to fight another day is always important when calculating ev in a cash game.

I think this is definitely a call for you.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Yuck.

What kind of flop were you hoping to receive????

Terrible. You gotta raise this flop to re-take control of the hand, so you can fire on the turn. You have the best hand for sure on the flop, and you let eveyone suck along, and meekly folded the turn. You have to make it expensive for these folks to draw to their overcards. You are giving everyone proper odds to suck out on you.

I hate it.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:45 AM

Default And the advice given up to this point from other posters. . . .

sucks. weak-passive. horrendous! live to fight another day?? might have a 7???

bet your damn hand on the flop. This is results-oriented reasoning to the worst degree.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:36 AM

you are raising this flop every single time.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:41 AM

The flop is an absolute no brainer raise.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 AM

This seems like a spot where I might wait to raise the turn... so I am not clear about why everyone is saying the flop is an auto-raise given that everyone already called one bet. It might make the turn easier to play if we get check-raised with a large field remaining though.

Kind of a crappy turn card, if he was betting a 7 or a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw they got there. But I don't think we want to give up on this pot quite yet. Anyone like raising the turn with the intention of folding to a 3-bet and taking a free showdown?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:20 AM

I'm just curious, is the 99 raise from MP after two limpers standard here?