Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-12-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Game Selection Help

I'm currently playing .50/1 and 1/2 on Party and skins and I'm having trouble finding good games (hardly believable, right?)
I think it's a problem in my method. Typically I pop up 4 tables on Eurobet (my main skin, for rakeback) and 4 on party, and let GT+ do its thing. When I find a good table, I hop on the wait list. Here are problems I'm running into:

1) I'm defining "good" as a table VP$IP of >35, and "great" as a table with VP$IP Is this too selective/not selective enough?
2) I generally wait 20 hands before I make any judgments on tables. I'm thinking this is WAY too small a sample to accurately convey a table's tendencies (I've hopped on too many tables at 35-45 and watched them sink <25 within 10 minutes). My fear is that other dataminers will exploit the good tables while I'm waiting to see if they're truly good, but I think I might be overdoing this.
3) As a general question, how long should it take for me to find 2 suitable tables at .5/1 and 1/2? Any reasonable estimates?

Any suggestions about my methods/standards?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Game Selection Help

At this level I like to just jump right in and play a few orbits while GT+ is "doing its thing". I definitely would not wait for more than 20 hands before sitting down. Also, try some seat selection as well. Sometimes a great seat at a mediocre table can be much more profitable than a bad seat at a great table.

A little trick I like is to learn a bit of SH play and sit at tables with 1 or 2 people only. As they fill up, the players tend to forget that they're now playing 8 or 10 handed and take too many hands too far. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM

Thanks for your response. What would you consider a "good table?" Also, how important is position at a juicy table? I.e., having 2 serious lags, almost maniacs, sitting to your left, in a 38 VP$IP game. Should you stand up?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:46 PM

well, I play 2/4 and 3/6 mostly, where a good table is 30+ vpip. I imagine it's about the same for 1/2 or whatever. As for the importance of position, I think it becomes more important as you move up. Sometimes in a case like the one described, if the waiting list is short, then I just leave the table and get back on, repeating until I get a good seat.