Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Default QQ $20/$40

8 or 9 handed if I remember correctly at the Borgata. I raise in QQ UTG. A guy who hasn't played many hands at all and who doesn't seem aggressive at all 3 bets. Very tight kid in the BB who respects me and the 3 better caps it. Can I fold this preflop?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: QQ $20/$40

Absolutely not. Even if you're beat now, you're pot committed to draw to a set, and it's not even close.

While I'd say there's a fairly good chance you're beat now, you're calling 1 bet to win 5 already in the pot. So you need very little implied odds to make this profitable.

Just drawing to a set here probably wouldn't be horrible though, given the 3-bettor/capper.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 PM

I have to call 2 bets.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:08 PM

its worth it. if i am reading your post right you are getting 5:1 to hit a set. thats plenty considering their hands are basically face up and your implied odds are tremendous.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to call 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows, that's why he said you're getting 5:1. There will be 10 bets in the pot assuming 3 bettor calls the cap (which you can). You have to put in 2 bets. You're getting 5:1 on the call.

Factor in your implied odds, and you can call here just looking to flop a set and get paid nicely when you do by AA or KK. The key to making this call profitable is being able to lay the hand down when the flop comes 279 rainbow. If you tell yourself you're only calling to flop a set, and then the board comes in this manner, it can be tempting to all of a sudden change your read and call it down.

- Jags
Old 08-11-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have to call 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

He knows, that's why he said you're getting 5:1. There will be 10 bets in the pot assuming 3 bettor calls the cap (which you can). You have to put in 2 bets. You're getting 5:1 on the call.

Factor in your implied odds, and you can call here just looking to flop a set and get paid nicely when you do by AA or KK. The key to making this call profitable is being able to lay the hand down when the flop comes 279 rainbow. If you tell yourself you're only calling to flop a set, and then the board comes in this manner, it can be tempting to all of a sudden change your read and call it down.

- Jags

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice explanation.

Anyway that's what I was planning to do, so I called this preflop. Flop came J T rag rainbow. Big blind bets of course, but instead of folding i call hoping to imrprove to some sort of draw on the turn. Of course it gets 3 bet around to me and I fold.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM

Anyway sorry for the uninteresting post guys, just trying to get feedback. I was indeed up against AA and KK
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM

No.