Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Minors at home games?

Left a home game tonight because one of the guys there was going to let his 11 year old kid play. The host's explanation was, "his $10 is just as good as oyur $10" but the whole idea just made me uncomfortable, so now I'm the [censored] of the group. I'm not at all worried about the legality of the whole thing as the chances of the police showing up were pretty much nil, but an 11 year old just seems a little absurd. Am I the one with the problem here?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

Kid's gotta learn sometime. The only way I'd have a problem with it is if, like our home games, the conversation gets brutal and... well, not exactly something an 11-year-old should be exposed to. Or if it was the kid's own money that he got for doing chores and stuff. Otherwise, it's a kid doing something with his dad.

I wouldn't have left, but I'd definitely make sure they warned me ahead of time if he was going to be at the next game.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 AM

I'd probably have a problem with an 11 year old playing. I think my cutoff would be 14 or 15. 11 just seems too young to me for some reason.

Durs
Old 07-20-2005, 11:03 AM

Son and his dad=not a problem IMO. I think it would be the same if yall were playing "touch" football and the kid wanted to play(full contact would def. be out of the question). If the kid knows how to play and isn't slowing down the game then I think it would be great for him and his dad to hang out and play something that they enjoy. As far as the legal aspect, when the WSOP airs, there are thousands of young kids (even 11) playing poker trying to be like the "pros" on TV. If you are uncomfortable then you should be able to leave without anyone saying anything. Its not my place to tell you how you should feel about it. Try to not look at it as an 11 year old gambling but as a Father and son hanging out together (kinda like if they were playing catch or something)
Old 07-20-2005, 12:48 PM

Not that I have a problem with an 11 playing poker. Shoot I let anyone drink alcohol at my table as long as no one gets drunk (drunk + poker = bad things).

What I have problems with is that my poker night is really a "guys night" where we can BS and talk about retarded stuff and make dirty comments. Because of that, I'd have to say no to an 11 year old sitting at my table.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 PM

Yeah, how dare they let your kid play! Oh, it wasn't your kid? Why do you care again? He's probably going to go out and smoke weed if he's not with you anyways so this is probably a good thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What I have problems with is that my poker night is really a "guys night" where we can BS and talk about retarded stuff and make dirty comments. Because of that, I'd have to say no to an 11 year old sitting at my table.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but he could be the next jennifer harman. err....well, never mind.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:29 PM

It's his kid, let him play. But don't be surprised if he raises you to three pokeman cards.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:08 PM

You did the right thing by leaving, especially since you were uncomfortable and you felt it was inappropriate. I have a 12 year old and an 8 year old. While we play together for chips at home (never for money), I would never bring either to the real money home game. The home game is for adult males to do what adult males do best: drink, gamble, fart, tell dirty jokes, complain about our jobs, wifes, etc. Sitting at the home game is the equivalent of attending an R-rated movie. A 17-year old can handle it, an 11-year old cannot.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:10 PM

I understand your being uncomfortable - 11 does seem a little young - but if his dad's cool with it, I'd have let it slide. How about this though:

A couple of weeks ago there was a charity tournament in St Louis - $50 buy-in, 217 players, top prize a $1000 flatscreen TV - and a guy bought in his 8 year old son for laughs.

The kid got 2nd.

The guy in third called the cops; they showed up, checked some things out, and left laughing. First of all, were the event organizers - in your opinion - alright in letting him play in the first place; secondly, does the fact that it's a charity game have anything to do with it being (apparently) legal?

Adam

PS - I'd explain the kid's run, which was pretty unbelievable, but that'd be major threadjacking.