Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 07-19-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Getting ruined at a generous table.

I was sitting two seats to the left of a borderline maniac last night at a .25/.50 Stars table that had the highest avg. pot (10-12 BB) for a solid hour or two. I lost 52BB.

I've read the current thread on table selection in SS Digest, which identifies some pitfalls that can be encountered in these games. But I can't really remember being stuck last night between the maniac and any LAG on a consistent basis, though there were 3 or 4 hands where I got got sucked into paying 4 bets PF on marginal hands.

I think it was mostly bad cards--I won literally two pots in 100+ hands. I lost a 24BB pot when I flopped a boat nines full and someone got runner-runner trips to make tens full.

Is this a typical experience at a loose table or am I just self-justifying? How much do you guys typically expect to pick up in the table situation I've desribed, on average? Enough to withstand 50-BB losses and still bring in $$ far in excess of your long-term avg. BB/hr??

I'm trying to figure out if this a typical swing, or if I need to get a better grasp on super-loose aggressive opponents before I venture in again.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Getting ruined at a generous table.

It happens. Keep on trying.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:51 AM

When dealing with a maniac it's logical to tighten up preflop because of the tendency for more than a few hands getting capped PF. If you are going to tangle with such a player, it makes sense to make sure you are getting all 4 BB into the pot with something that is likely to be the best hand when it hits the flop.

I think you are right, you were victimized by bad cards, but I think it may have been the marginal hands that you rode into capped pots.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:55 AM

I'd start isolating the LAG with position.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 AM

get used to it really, though it has never gotten easier for me. i played saturday, went down 30BBs. played sunday, came back 1BB- so i'm now down 29BBs. played last night and am now down 40BBs.

see the thread "he called me down with Jack high" to see my full house get beat by 54o [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] life sux sometimes doesn't it?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:16 AM

I'm interested in knowing the BB/100 that experienced players expect to see when they have ideal position on a just-short-of-a-maniac LAG, all other things being equal. Or is such a phenomenon beyond quantification?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in knowing the BB/100 that experienced players expect to see when they have ideal position on a just-short-of-a-maniac LAG, all other things being equal. Or is such a phenomenon beyond quantification?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is pretty close to 0 because I usually try to avoid these situations and I'll tell you why. Whenever I get on a table with a complete maniac I have no way of telling what he has. So when I get involved in a hand I have no idea if I'm ahead or behind. Therefore, the luck:skill ratio gets skewed much more to the luck side.

When you add in the fact that many other players are going to stick around longer because the pots are so big then luck becomes an even bigger factor.

So, for me, I'd rather stick to the middle of the road tables where I can push most of the players around. I'll leave the maniacs to everyone else here.