Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 11:33 AM

Default $40/$80 hand at the Borgata

The BB is the main villain in this hand. Overall a pretty bad player. Plays too many hands preflop and goes too far with hands post flop. Also strangely aggressive and strangely passive at weird times.

Preflop: Loose Aggressive player Raises UTG + 1. Cutoff who plays pretty tight calls, I call with 55, small blind and big blind both call.

Flop: Q T 5 rainbow. Checked to preflop raiser who bets. One fold, cutoff raises, I 3 bet, big blind thinks for about 30 seconds and calls 3 cold, preflop raiser folds, cutoff calls. 3 to the turn.

Turn: A. Two very hesitant checks to me. What should I do?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: $40/$80 hand at the Borgata

bet
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM

(1)Fold pre-flop. You need about 5-1 to play this hand and even if BB comes along you're getting just over 3-1.
(2) Who folded between UTG+1 and cutoff? Was there a coldcall before cutoff? If so then the pre-flop call looks a little better, in position.
(3) You can't give a free card on the turn, nuff said.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:54 AM

Bet, if you're behind, you've got outs. You shouldn't have told us you have who the main villain in the hand was, though.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:42 PM

Ram and jam it i bet it. If i get played back at i call it down as a straight is possible...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:01 PM

I think naming the villain in this hand is kosher; you're asking for help gaining insight into his play.

The thing about bad players is they come in so many varieties. Did he think for 30 seconds because he has trip queens and was trying to figure out if you did, too? Yes, that's impossible, but that's what makes these guys bad players. Did he have an open straight and spend 30 seconds trying to figure out if he should go for it? Did he have TT and spend 30 seconds trying to figure out if you had QQ? Did he have AA and spend 30 seconds trying to figure out if he should keep going? Did he have 72o and spend 30 seconds asking his kharma if he was going to win this hand?

Cuz really, the last one is the most likely. If BB wasn't a fool with his money, he wouldn't be in the 40/80 with no skills.

If CO is tight, I'd put him on AQs here, for the preflop call and the flop raise. KQ, KJs, QJs also possible. How tight is he? Calling a raise preflop isn't normally kosher among this community; I'd hazard that he's not a great player, just tight.

These guys are hesitant because they have good hands but think you have something even stronger. If they were going for a CR, then either they're green (and could not make that decision quickly) or very good (and hence trying to psych you out). But I wouldn't give them credit.

NO FREE CARDS!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:06 PM

time's up to edit, but I just now noticed I was in the Mid- and High-Stakes forum. Somehow it being 40-80 slipped by me. I don't belong here, so take what I wrote with that in mind. =]
Old 07-08-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Loose Aggressive player Raises UTG + 1. Cutoff who plays pretty tight calls, I call with 55, small blind and big blind both call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That call preflop is really really close if you are sure that the SB and BB will come along. Though if you can get that much action if you flop a set with position, it may be worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: Q T 5 rainbow. Checked to preflop raiser who bets. One fold, cutoff raises, I 3 bet, big blind thinks for about 30 seconds and calls 3 cold, preflop raiser folds, cutoff calls. 3 to the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to bet that turn card, you likely have people with 2 pair hands, god only knows what the BB has, calling 3 cold. You said he could be passive at times in weird spots, have you seen him cold call three before with the goods or with cheese? I dont see people cold calling three much in that game so hes a bit more that the average fish. I bet the turn and most certainly call down if I get raised.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(1)Fold pre-flop. You need about 5-1 to play this hand and even if BB comes along you're getting just over 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO.

Lawrence
Old 07-08-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(2) Who folded between UTG+1 and cutoff? Was there a coldcall before cutoff? If so then the pre-flop call looks a little better, in position.
(3) You can't give a free card on the turn, nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Fold Preflop? No way. Two cold callers before me on the button first. Second I told you about the big blind already and I was about 90% sure she was going to call. And I would get a lot of action with sets or any other favorable flop.

2. See Above.

3. Thanks for the opinion.