Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 07-06-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Stacked?

Not everyone has the means or confidence to play for real money right away, and the play money tables are a joke. I bought a poker game last year before venturing into real money games. I thought it might provide better competition and quicker action(you can skip to the end of the hand once you fold) than the horrible play money tables. I dont think I learned much because the game sucked, but I see a decent market for a good poker game at a reasonable price (under $50). Ive heard good things about Poki, I couldnt get a great feel for the strength of the AI in the demo.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:53 AM

As a gamer and a poker player, I can easily see how Stacked would appeal to a 2+2er. Its not that I play for ultra low stakes or play money (because I reguarly play 10-20 and 15-30 hold-em) and like the idea of not playing for real money. But its the fact that I like playing videogames and this is the best videogame that could simulate a pros talents. How many people could actually outdrive Tiger Woods as in the case of Tiger Woods 2005 and beat him in an actual match? Not too many I suppose. Or how about how many of us can take it to the hole on Shaq and slam one down in his face as is the case in NBA Live? I'd be willing to put my whole bankroll and my house note that nobody here could do that. But, if this new AI is as good as Stacked claims, we will soon be trying to bluff our way through tournaments and cash games against the likes of Daniel Negreanu, David Williams, and Jennifer Harmen. Although the computer might not do exactly what that pro would do in any given situation, I heard the software is modeled after the specific pro's game and does what they would most likely do. Am I claiming that bluffing the videogame would be nearly as fun as bluffing Josh Arieh and showing him the bluff in real life and watch him lose his cool? Heck no! I'm just saying that its the closest thing that will simulate playing an actual pro in any videogame. I mean who would really want to take their chances against Shaq? If you do. More power to you.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not everyone has the means or confidence to play for real money right away

[/ QUOTE ]

People who have the means to buy a $50 x-box game have the means to play poker online. Playing poker video games is completley silly.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:01 AM

The last thing I heard was that Stacked was going to be out this September.

While I was initially skeptical about it, I think it will be a huge hit amongst hardcore poker players AND casual alike. Admittedly, the appeal will be more with newer and younger players, but with the AI supposedly being phenomenal, I know I'll be playing it.

(Granted, I'm a bit biased.)

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-06-2005, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, why do you want this product? I really don't understand how this would appeal to people who already play poker. Please enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be good for people that temporarily have no internet connection.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:49 AM

Bear in mind that the AI was developed for, and is very good at, limit Hold'em.
The NL bots that are part of the Poki product arent nearly as impressive or
interesting to play.

Aq.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Yahoo News
Old 07-06-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

People who have the means to buy a $50 x-box game have the means to play poker online. Playing poker video games is completley silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the Kids, the 12- 19 crowed that wants their parents to by this for them. What about all the people out there, that just don’t trust the Internet? Trust me, there is a tone of ppl out there that are very scared to use neteller. They are stupid yes, but there are still lots of people who don’t want to put money online, because they don’t think they will get it out.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:43 PM

I for one welcome our new robotic poker playing overlords.

Ok, seriously, if it plays decent poker, like good enough that it's useful for practice, and it's fun, I could see the appeal even for 'real' poker players. Playing for fun or really low limits doesn't provide realistic practice IMHO. Also, I would definitely buy the PSP version if its any good. Would be a godsend on long plane trips, etc.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Stacked on MTV?

It could happen, details in this press release at: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050706/65340.html?.v=1

Kevin...