Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Do you find a raise somewhere in this hand?

Villain is 40/13/2.13

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Where would you raise, or wouldn't you?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Do you find a raise somewhere in this hand?

uhh...flop.

TPTK, I'm raising here and playing the rest accordingly.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 40/13/2.13

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Where would you raise, or wouldn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop raise is pointless. I'd be tempted to raise the turn, but you've got the same problem. I think that this line is fine, because you're getting all these overcalls.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:11 AM

i raise the flop. you have 3 people trapped. you may or may not have BB beat but with three in the middle and TPGK you have to raise. id prefer doing it early whilst people will call.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i raise the flop. you have 3 people trapped. you may or may not have BB beat but with three in the middle and TPGK you have to raise. id prefer doing it early whilst people will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is a pretty clear case of it being better to wait until the turn to raise. The pot is huge, your hand is vulnerable, and all you're doing with your flop raise is pumping the pot for a draw and making it correct for weak draws to call the turn (which, admittedly, it might be anyway). There may be no way of protecting your hand here, but you certainly can't do it on the flop.

On second look, I definitely like raising the turn with my 2 pair and 2d-nutflush draw. But I hate raising the flop.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:24 AM

I raise the flop for value.

I raise the turn for value.

If 3-bet on either street I consider slowing down, but I'm not giving a borderline maniac credit for AA/QQ just because he 3-bet preflop.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop raise is pointless, if you hate money.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

You've got the best hand until proven otherwise, especially on the flop, but also on the turn. Get money into the pot while you've got the best of it.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There may be no way of protecting your hand here, but you certainly can't do it on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the bet gets to you on the flop, you know there's no way to protect your hand immediately, and quick math tells you that it won't be possible to do it on the turn, even with a bet and a raise in front of you.

Get your money in there while you can, sez I.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop raise is pointless, if you hate money.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

You've got the best hand until proven otherwise, especially on the flop, but also on the turn. Get money into the pot while you've got the best of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the cards that ruin our hand on the turn:
Any J
Any T (8)

These are the cards that make us deeply concerned about our hand on the turn:
Any K (4)
Any spade 7-2 (6)

These are the cards that improve our hand but give us a very hard decision: As, Qs.

That's 20 cards that are going to be hard for us. There are 4 players in the pot, and 19 small bets. Someone could've flopped a straight. There is a two-flush on board. There are 3 cards in the microlimits "play any two of these" zone. If we have an equity edge on the flop, it is microscopic.

I really think that this is straight out of SSH.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:10 PM

HU it would be pointless to raise the flop. Here, it's fine although waiting for the turn has merits.