Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Weak play with trips

Is the river play as bad as I think it is?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG (poster) calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 06-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Weak play with trips

yeah, you have to raise the river, you are just too likely to be ahead. sure he could have K3, Q3, or J3, but he'd probably play any 3 the same way as he is doing now. definitely put in a river raise, whether to cap is closer.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:01 PM

fold preflop

I dont think just calling the river is bad. But then I dunno, if your average 1/2 players is bad enought to cap and lead with out the boat, then I raise. but im definately not capping. I'd still prolly just call.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:08 PM

Fold preflop. Raise river.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2005, 10:21 PM

Ya I'm not scared of j3 and honestly since he didnt raise with before the 2nd 3....ya. I suck

thanks.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM

I'd like to hear your thinking on why you played this pre-flop? It seems an obvious fold
Old 06-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Disagree. This is five handed, and there is nothing wrong with raising any ace here. It's not highly +ev or anything, but I think if you are better postflop than the average donk, a raise here is ok.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:42 PM

For me preflop depends mainly on the button. If he's tight - raise, otherwise fold.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disagree. This is five handed, and there is nothing wrong with raising any ace here. It's not highly +ev or anything, but I think if you are better postflop than the average donk, a raise here is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bad raise 6 handed, doesnt suddenly become a good raise because there is one less person at the table.

Theres also the poster in this hand, which you can argue is good for dead money, but really what it means is you are likely seeing a flop at least 3 way. Not where I want to be with A3o
Old 06-13-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear your thinking on why you played this pre-flop? It seems an obvious fold

[/ QUOTE ]

The button was tight, and I was really on a steal hoping for maybe 1 caller.

I just started playing 6max limit and I've only been playing poker for like 9 months so yea, I suck.

Thanks for the discussion guys :P