Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 06-12-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Those Uh-Oh Blinds

Im not sure WHAT to call them so I guess I will coin them as those "Uh-Oh Blinds"... I have been going thru a rough couple of days where I lost 3/4 of my bankroll and now in the last 16 hours have made up 2/3 of the loss BUT I have yet to hit an "Uh-Oh Blind hand" and so my question is of coourse what do do or am I playing these wisely.......

An "Uh-Oh Blind" is when you flop to your blind hand ( you got in for the minimum of course as Id never call a raise with it) when its some junk that you would never play normally! Like I just had a Jc-4c and the board came

8c-10c-7d

Normally I guess Id have to chance this being I have a gutshot (4 outs) a flush draw (9 outs) and an overcard that wouldnt prob help me at all but still its an overcard (3 outs) of course I am looking for a club but I will take the 9 before Id take a bust here but my position stinks AND the turn bet is raised..............??

I have been playing hands like this because the pots were ridiculously large BUT I never hit a one!! They repeatedly cost me decent money but am I to drop these hands or what?

I am getting close to 6-1 on my money so mathematically the play is Ok but its not when I just dont hit one and Im not getting a decent vibe at all. I know Ill even get the raise in if I could ever grab that last flush card so I play em but what do you guys think........??

Its amazing how when something is happening to you all of a sudden your not sure but if you were to ask me Id tell you if the odds are there just keep plugging away! : ) You have to play this game to win it right? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Those Uh-Oh Blinds

A decent vibe is more important than math any day.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM

Math sucks.

Only losing players trust math.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:54 PM

Fold preflop
Old 06-12-2005, 06:45 PM

What in the hell is this post about?!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:15 PM

To give you an honest answer (which these other people really haven't, though I don't blame them), from the way your post is worded it seems that you have some gross misconceptions about the game, the math, and what "pot odds" really are, and how they work. I suggest you read Sklansky's Winning Low Limit Holdem, and then come back. If you have already read it, I suggest you read it again. It might also help if you post specific hands, instead of speaking in generalities.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:17 PM

Also, don't play marginal hands like j/4 suited (Unless you're in the blind, or maybe maybe trying to steal from the button, and you'll stop getting put in situations like the one you describe.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:22 PM

holy crap, you sound just like me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I swear dude...that's almost word-for-word as one of my posts on another forum!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Just read what i think is the post you're referring to. One place that I differ with you is on not playing A/X suited. I'll play A/X suited in a multiway unraised pot, but i won't play k/x suited, q/x suited, etc. The difference of course, is that with A/x suited, if you flop your flush, or flop your draw, you're drawing for the nuts. With the kinds of hands this guy is referring to, you might be drawing to a second best hand that is going to cost you your stack. Just not worth it, and I won't get invoved with a hand like that. Of course the caveat to playing A/x suited in a multiway pot, is being able to let it go fairly easily if you do spike that ace, and table aggression makes it clear that your hand is not good, I find i'm able to do this without a problem, and at the limits I play at, its usually obvious when my hand is no good.