Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: ok, 9 bracelets....

Hellmuth had money in the late 90's.

He won a few tournaments himself, and was also financing John Bonetti, who kicked ass in touranments in the late 90's.

I'm sure you can find it in the Hendon Mob db, but I remember adding up all of Bonnetti's winnings from like 97 to 01 and it was well over $500K. That was when a $300 and $500 entry tournament was a very big deal, and all the big names played $50 and $100 buy in tournaments. Only the World Series at that time(and maybe the big AC tournament) had buy ins of $1000+.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who said that Hellmuth had no money in the late 90's?

[ QUOTE ]
He won a few tournaments himself, and was also financing John Bonetti, who kicked ass in touranments in the late 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess if bonetti only won $500,000 in a 5 year period, the deal was probably break-even at best for Phil. Of course, I have no idea what the terms of the agreement were.

[ QUOTE ]
Only the World Series at that time(and maybe the big AC tournament) had buy ins of $1000+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trump, Foxwoods and Tunica had major events in 97. The Tournament of Champions at the Orleans was a major buy-in, The commerce and bicycle also had major buy-ins. These may have been $5000, but they were and still are major. IIRC, the Orleans open was at least $1000 for the championship. All the WSOP events were $1500 or higher, except for the first event (and ladies and seniors), which was only $1,000. Big buy-ins may have grown in number and field size with the WPT and internet, but they were around back then.

[ QUOTE ]
all the big names played $50 and $100 buy in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Maybe in 1987.

Edit: Oh yeah, and back then, Binions hosted the Hall of Fame tournament which had a big buy-in championship.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who said that Hellmuth had no money in the late 90's?

The following post earlier in the thread:
[ QUOTE ]
He went broke in the mid to late 90's. Not unitl maybe early 2000's has he gotten rich. And mostly through endorsments he has gotten rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess if bonetti only won $500,000 in a 5 year period, the deal was probably break-even at best for Phil. Of course, I have no idea what the terms of the agreement were.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the total money amount. Hendon Mob only lists World Series results. In that alone, Bonetti had over $300K in cashes. And he won at least a couple of the Legends and California State Championship events as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Only the World Series at that time(and maybe the big AC tournament) had buy ins of $1000+.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Trump, Foxwoods and Tunica had major events in 97. The Tournament of Champions at the Orleans was a major buy-in, The commerce and bicycle also had major buy-ins. These may have been $5000, but they were and still are major. IIRC, the Orleans open was at least $1000 for the championship. All the WSOP events were $1500 or higher, except for the first event (and ladies and seniors), which was only $1,000. Big buy-ins may have grown in number and field size with the WPT and internet, but they were around back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are incorrect. Only the final event of these tournaments(and maybe one more) were $1000 or greater until recently.

[ QUOTE ]
all the big names played $50 and $100 buy in tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
What? Maybe in 1987.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I played in several low buy in events in so Cal, all under $100. Men the Master, TJ Cloutier, Eskimo Clark, Tom McEvoy, etc played in these events. In fact, these guys and others used to make the trek out to Lake Elsinore to play in the $100 and $200 buy in events out there in the late 90's. Several of these players even entered Bicycle Clubs daily tournaments(you know, the $10 or $20 buy in with multiple rebuys). Since I did not turn 21 until 1993 and did not start playing tournaments until 1996, I would state that you are wrong. In fact, the $50 buy in tournament at Legends that Barabara Enright won in 1997, 98, or 99...I cannot remember...(record setting field at the time of 1000 or so entries...first place $25K), nearly all the name players entered except for the super big guns like Brunson, Chan, etc.

There were maybe 15 tournament events a year other than wsop that had buy ins of $1000 or greater prior to 2001. You don't know what you are talking about.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were maybe 15 tournament events a year other than wsop that had buy ins of $1000 or greater prior to 2001. You don't know what you are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is an example of 15 tourneys with $1000 buy in or greater in 1997, so STFU

Edit: Though, in fairness, this tournament was cancelled after 1997, so there were fewer big-buy in events over the next few years. I still maintain there were more big ($1000+) buyin events than 15 per year.

I am your age, and I agree...Stern rules.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:10 PM

So I am just slightly incorrect in that one other tournament series(that was soon to be cancelled) had buy ins of exactly $1K.

That still leaves fewer than 25 tournament events with $1000 or greater buy ins and does not invalidate the main point of my posting.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am just slightly incorrect in that one other tournament series(that was soon to be cancelled) had buy ins of exactly $1K.

That still leaves fewer than 25 tournament events with $1000 or greater buy ins and does not invalidate the main point of my posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just cuz I'm a nit, I looked at the 2000 pokerpages results and found, outside the wsop, 51 events in 11 separate series >= $1,000 buy-in.

To other points, Hellmuth did cash in a decent number when I scanned some results, and some bigger name players cashed in many $100 tourneys that year.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Yeah, Hellmuth sucks. 2 for 2 money finishes so far......

I just browsed the results on pokerpages, he wasn't near the big money.

Maybe not the expected results for the "best poker player in the world"?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:32 AM

oooooo 2 money finishes! wow!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just browsed the results on pokerpages, he wasn't near the big money.

Maybe not the expected results for the "best poker player in the world"?

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus, he finished in the top 25 out of 2400, then in the top 40 out of 1200 or whatever the other event was. give the guy a break, you cant win every one. its a hell of a way to start off the world series, even for "the greatest player in the world."
Old 06-09-2005, 01:08 PM

Phil is the man!