Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 AM

Default ok, 9 bracelets....

He has 9. He has played every event for 16 years, and the fields were smaller then. Not saying he is bad, but if he hadnt accumulated some bracelets after 400 events or so, then we would have something to talk about.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Yeah, Hellmuth sucks. 2 for 2 money finishes so far......

Oh he built his entire bankroll playing cash games before 89? I CALL! Show me the money! Even after he won the million or whatever in 89 he lost the whole thing. What limit did He consisitently beat before or after 89?
Old 06-07-2005, 03:34 AM

I don't know specific limits, but he was king of the poker scene in Madison, Wisconsin and dropped out of UW-M to start playing poker. what do you mean he lost the $1M after he won in 89?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:37 AM

He went broke in the mid to late 90's. Not unitl maybe early 2000's has he gotten rich. And mostly through endorsments he has gotten rich.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:40 AM

Probably a self proclaimed king i madison. And who plays in madison? Show me the money. If he was beating live games he would have been in vegas or la beating live games. Its easy to say he beat games in madison when nobody can prove otherwise. And he wouldn't have went broke if he was beating games.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:47 AM

And i heard right before he won the main event in 89 he used to play at arizona charlies(in vegas) a 4-8 or 3-6 game and lose. He probably was a kid who took a shot at the series, probably with no bankroll because he couldn't beat the games, and got lucky at the series. Then had fun with that unitl he gave it all away and went broke(all the while winning 9 bracelets). Yeah he must have been a great live game player to lose 1 mil. and 8 other bracelets worth of money lol. Then starting getting backed by ted forest until he finally made some money and got out of debt. Then the endorsements started pouring in.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: ok, 9 bracelets....

It should be noted that players such as Doyle Brunson, TJ Cloutier, Chip Reese, Eric Siedel, Howard Lederer etc... have all been playing the WSOP events longer than Hellmuth and only TJ has 9 bracelets as well.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that players such as Doyle Brunson, TJ Cloutier, Chip Reese, Eric Siedel, Howard Lederer etc... have all been playing the WSOP events longer than Hellmuth and only TJ has 9 bracelets as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be noted that of those you list, only Seidel and Cloutier have regularly/frequently played WSOP events in their careers. Reese, Brunson, and Lederer for large chunks of time (years) have opted to play cash games instead of tourneys during the WSOP.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be noted that of those you list, only Seidel and Cloutier have regularly/frequently played WSOP events in their careers. Reese, Brunson, and Lederer for large chunks of time (years) have opted to play cash games instead of tourneys during the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet if Phil had the personality of a Lederer or a Cloutier people wouldn't try this hard to dismiss his accomplishments.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that TJ has less than 9, and that Doyle Brunson and Johnny Chan are the others (other than Hellmouth) with 9.