Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Strategy for tourneys with unlimited re-buys?

I mostly play freezeouts so I basically wonder how to play tournaments where you have unlimited re-buys during the first hour (5 levels)? The buy-in is low so imagine you have no problems splashing out for 6-7 re-buys...

For example... Yesterday, I participated in a $10-tourney (1500 starting chips) with unlimited re-buys (another $10 för 1500 chips) and one add-on (during 1st break) at Royal Card Club. People were acting like crazy, for example I had my AA all-in called by K8off... So, what's my plan?

- Quickly re-buy a couple of times so I get a healthy stack to work with?
- See a lot of flops and try to catch something and re-buy only when you're shortstacked?
- Play tight and wait for excellent opportunities to go all-in?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Strategy for tourneys with unlimited re-buys?

well, in the stars 10+1s, i take the initial rebuy so i have 3k chips. then i proceed to push every hand until i double up. at this point i push only 1/3 of my hands. if i get my stack into 5 digits, i slow down and start playing poker. its really relaxing doing this, as i know ill be in for 300 sometimes, but thats just 1.5 sngs, right? first place for some of these 10+1 rebuys is in the neighborhood of 8-10k, so its not SOOO bad.

ok, so u wanted real advice. dont follow this advice. its bad. however, dont be afraid to get it in with AJ+/99+, as all the other idiots are playing garbage too. holla
Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 AM

Just curious, but how often in rebuy tournaments like that do you finish in the money/make over your buy-in? 30 times seems like a lot but maybe my bankroll is pretty small compared.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:34 AM

well, im up overall in rebuy tournaments, so enough i suppose. its more to blow off steam than take seriously and make money though. once i have a huge stack i play solid poker though.. and if you have a huge stack, its tough not to do well. people play scared. period. harass them. holla
Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, in the stars 10+1s, i take the initial rebuy so i have 3k chips. then i proceed to push every hand until i double up. at this point i push only 1/3 of my hands. if i get my stack into 5 digits, i slow down and start playing poker. its really relaxing doing this, as i know ill be in for 300 sometimes, but thats just 1.5 sngs, right? first place for some of these 10+1 rebuys is in the neighborhood of 8-10k, so its not SOOO bad.

ok, so u wanted real advice. dont follow this advice. its bad. however, dont be afraid to get it in with AJ+/99+, as all the other idiots are playing garbage too. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this strategy is dumb, remember that Phil Ivey coldcalled allin preflop in a rebuy tournament with 62s. And Daniel Negraneau rebought 28 times in the $1000 NLHE and ended up finishing third and making a profit of $70k.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:32 PM

the negreanu thing was to win a sidebet, not to win money.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:36 PM

yes, but he DID win money didnt he [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] holla
Old 06-01-2005, 07:42 PM

I think the entire "push until your blue in the face" strategy is tremendously overrated. My two biggest takes in unlimited rebuy tourneys have come when I took ZERO rebuys. I just bought in and added on. Took 3rd/273 for $3,000 and 7/250 for about $5-600. Every time I try to play the maniac strategy it never seems to work. I never double up until I'm already in for like 10x the buyin or worse, I just never double up and I go down like $200.

I prefer to play my normal poker game, augmenting it by pushing with every premium hand like AK and AQ and any high to mid pair. I'll also take any race I can get for the first hour.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think this strategy is dumb, remember that Phil Ivey coldcalled allin preflop in a rebuy tournament with 62s. And Daniel Negraneau rebought 28 times in the $1000 NLHE and ended up finishing third and making a profit of $70k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both were done to "blow off steam" so to speak

In Negreanu's case, he actually had a minimal amount of chips after the rebuy, FYI. He just played smart with the little he had.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM

maybe u dont have the sample size? some tournaments ill be in for 30, some i will be in for 10, some i will be in for 3. i use pretty much the same strategy for all rebuys, and have been quite successful in building a stack and maintaining it throughout the tournament. holla