Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Getting desperate for help

[ QUOTE ]
You're too loose, too passive, and far too straightforward. And you make some very bad cold-calls. This isn't me slamming you, just reminding you what the problems. Tighten up, quit being the first cold-caller for a bit, and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub
Old 04-01-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition to what bicyclekick already said, your table selection sucks. IMHO, not moving from a table once it's turned sour is a sign of laziness. And I see you continuing to sit at bad tables all the time....

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this a lot also.

When you started to go on your run, I noticed that you were playing more during non-peak hours as well.

scrub
Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 AM

Hi, David. I note not once in my game, that after facing several downstreaks i start to play tighter then usual and my results become even worse. I start cold-calling instead 3-betting, and folding instead raising. How this happens?

When you're on downstreak - your opponents are quite lucky and it seems they always have better hand than you. You start to trust them more then they deserve. And folding many winners before SD. Please examine your game earlier and if it was more loose-aggressive - try to change yourself to this style again.

I hadn't faced such long downstreaks in my career, though after every 250BB's downstreak i re-consider my play and force myself to make many marginal raises and marginal call downs. And it works and i always become surprised - wtf i used to trust these liars before. This cycle happens to me 3 times in a last year and i think it will happen again.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:06 AM

David, i think you should post some hands for review, and as gnores suggested, if you start writing again, it will be much eaiser to get feedback. Have you considered putting your tournament career on hold for a while to focus on cash games? I know you enjoy the tournaments more, but i thinkit's important to get your game and your confidence back on track. Your run has to a combination of bad cards and play that is sub-optimal. Here is what i reccomed for starters. Isolate your PT stats since this bad run began. Review your key money-making hands, big pairs, big broadway cards, etc... And thendo the same for the previous 10 months. Lets compare those stats and we can get an idea how much deviance there has been in the last few months from what has been normal for you. I had what i consider to be a sub-optimal month in March, i when i checked PT, i found that i was losing money with AK, AKs, KQ, TT, KQs, and AT. This is obviously an anomole and it gave me an idea of how i was running. I think the results will show that you have been running poorly, put it has to be in combination with some questionable play for a break even stretch of 8 weeks. I think people would have a lot more to go on if you posted some hands that you feel are questionable and then maybe we can go from there.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David,

Many people in the past have pointed out things in your game that you need to fix. You have in the past admitted that you think some of these things might not be optimal poker, but you choose to play these hands/situations anyway. Have you eliminated all of the things people have pointed out as leaks already? If not, this streak is not any surprise, and that's where you need to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that PP 15/30 has gotten tougher or that David had a year long lucky streak?

I'm all for him improving his game, but a downswing like this after being a comfortable winner over hundreds of thousands of hands likely has another explanation. I suspect a bad run has turned into a horrible run because his game has changed somehow. Probably confidence issues making him play to weak or to agressive, or both. Another theory could be that all that turney play has influenced his ring game play.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another theory could be that all that turney play has influenced his ring game play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I would delve deeper into
Old 04-01-2005, 11:28 AM

So if david posted his aggression stats by street, and the CCPF numbers, this would confirm or deny this hole?

Seems an easy poker-healthcare checkup [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 AM

David,

Going back three years ago when we were both regulars in the Paradise 2/4 and 3/6 games you were a regular contributor to the small stakes forum. As you moved on to playing for a living you posted your weekly updates where you reviewed and discussed much of your play. But at some point this tournament bug hit you and that is where I believe you have let your ring game slip some. When you posted your 600 BB downturn in January somebody recommended that you go back and start posting in the ring game strategy forums. I really think you need to think about this. In my honest opinion if you are not making up for these ring game losses with your multi wins, then I think it would be in your best interest to put the tournament play on hold.

Jeffro
Old 04-01-2005, 11:45 AM

This better not be some "haha, April Fools! I'm rich as hell!"
Anyway, I think that the games have gotten a little tougher. I think that many players who have spent their time concentrating on multitabling rather than getting better at poker and moving up in stakes are going to have a hard time when the competition steps up a notch.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:02 PM

Imagine your learning curve over a period of 3 years, and your amount won curve will have been the same as that just about 3 months delayed. You stopped learning 6 - 12 months ago and now the winning curve stops too.