Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 02-10-2005, 12:30 AM

Default KQo in the SB, overplayed?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

MP is a very weak cs type ~50% VPIP
CO is a respected 2+2er, he knew I was a 2+2er as well, FWIW.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO (2+2er) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP folds, CO :#A500AF(2+2er)/ calls.

Normally I wouldn't 3-bet this, obviously, btu tI though there was a good chance he was isolating the weak limper, and would raise with a wide range. Good time to play back or LAGgy chip spewery?

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, 2+2er calls.

Flopped the OESD, rest of the hand plays itself.

Turn: (5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">2+2er raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, planning to fold to a bet.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: KQo in the SB, overplayed?

I'm not a big fan of 3-betting with KQo (or playing it at all) out of position against an aggressive player who raised PF.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a big fan of 3-betting with KQo (or playing it at all) out of position against an aggressive player who raised PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, it's not my default as I said, but I think there are some other factors in play that have to at least be looked at.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:19 AM

It was 6-handed at the time, MP was "very weak". Would it change your mind at all if I told you the BB was fairly tight also?

I told him it was a good 3-bet. But then I know my range of raising hands in this situation and it may be a little wider than most. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Villain has AK, three bet his ass and bet the river.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has AK, three bet his ass and bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice 27, please don't ever play at my table. Ever. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Villain posted this hand yesterday from his perspective and you pretty much nailed my hand...and you nailed his as well.

I had him on overcards when he called the flop, but I'm not confident enough in my reads to pull the trigger on a 3-bet bluff like that usually. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Would you still recommend the move if I didn't have the big draw?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM

you're right, this hand does play itself.

in a full ring game i would not 3-bet this preflop though and i won't always 3-bet this in a 6 handed game either.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:47 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

Seriously, u played the hand fine. Obviously u couldn't put him on AK at the time. I like the three bet from the sb b/c Chief would have isolated with a wide range of hands. Having three bet, you're bound to bet the flop and turn and u have to call the raise. Folding the river UI would also have been the right move.

Btw, I think I'll be changing my PP name to my 2+2 name soon just so that u all can avoid me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Anything to help me in this downswing [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 02-10-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're right, this hand does play itself.

in a full ring game i would not 3-bet this preflop though and i won't always 3-bet this in a 6 handed game either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chris...Would you semi-cold call here preflop or just muck it?

What if I were the button instead of SB? Easy 3-bet then 6 handed?
Old 02-10-2005, 11:09 AM

I think this is the perfect spot for a turn check-raise semi-bluff. Given the action thus far I think you have a lot of folding equity.... and if it gets checked through on the turn, oh well, you just got yourself a free card. Whether or not to bet the river if it gets checked through and there is no improvement is another topic unto itself. Not sure if villain is calling with A-high or not... but I would probably take a stab at it since you have no showdown value.