Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 11:55 AM

Default AKs hits flop, faces pot bet

Hi, all.

Villain (UTG+1) has not been sitting at the table long -- have only seen about 20 hands. In that time he raised preflop once and called a few times, so he's no maniac. Beyond that I can't say.

Party Poker $50 No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter

MP3 ($49)
CO ($41.7)
Button ($62.2)
Hero ($49)
BB ($146.4)
UTG ($22.3)
UTG+1 ($47)
UTG+2 ($70.5)
MP1 ($25.05)
MP2 ($46.3)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls $3, CO calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) calls $2.50, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($15) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $14.25</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero?

So my AKs has hit the flop, but it looks like the villain also likes this flop. I really wasn't sure what to do here. Of course I'm hoping he has AQ or KJ or something, but if he's really as conservative with his preflop raises as my tiny sample size indicates (only seen 1 in 20 hands) then a lot of his possible hands either beat me or we're tied (e.g., AA, KK, QQ, AK, KQ).

So what would you do? It looks to me like folding or raising all-in are the only two options, and folding seems incredibly weak here, but still...

Thoughts?

Of course you're welcome to beat up on me for checking the flop -- if I'd bet out things might have been easier.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: AKs hits flop, faces pot bet

I wouldn't check the flop, especially if I'm in EP. I say lead for 1/2-2/3 pot sized bet on the flop, reevaluate against aggression. That's the problem with checking relatively weak hands like TPTK on a flop like this. You get absolutely no information. Against a pre-flop raise, chances are that the best you could hope for is a split pot, but you could very easily be behind.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:16 PM

i'd call and then check the turn. the only decent draw is JT, and it's unlikely he has that.

this way you might be able to get a little more on the river against a hand like KJ or AQ (assuming he checks behind on the turn with these hands, which we probably will).

i don't think you can let this one go. getting your money in with TPTK for 50 bb's in a raised pot = good times.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd call and then check the turn. the only decent draw is JT, and it's unlikely he has that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, schwza. It's a line I hadn't considered, but I can see your reasoning. Just to check though: if a blank comes on the turn and he pushes, we're calling, right?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:49 PM

Ugh, tough spot. Youre out of position, but he's betting with any hand he raised with. I dont like raising here, as he will fold any hand that you beat. I agree folding is too weak. I'd just call, and see what his turn action is. If he pushes the turn, id be inclined to fold, if he checks behind, id be inclined to half pot the river.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:27 PM

you put yourself in a lot of trouble with that flop check.Only time you should check with AK when you hit is when you plan on check raising.

why are all of you guys saying folding is too weak? You can find another spot.

I really don't like the call the flop bet, check fold the turn as even if villain has AK or KJ, hes going to bet the turn if checked to. If he is bluffing with Kj, AQ, and he bets 1/2 pot on the turn, what do you do? the call the flop bet, check the turn line gives you no info. The Raise the flop line will tell you if he is bluffing but thats about it. He'll go all in with anything else.Seeing as how both of my options aren't that great, I don't think folding is that bad here. you lose $3, oh well.

my guts tells me he has AK as well. small possibility of KQ. definitely not a set. If he hit the set, seeing as its a rainbow board, I just don't see him betting the flop that strongly after 3 checks. And if he is pretty solid, UTG raise preflop with KQ is a bit questionable.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

you put yourself in a lot of trouble with that flop check.Only time you should check with AK when you hit is when you plan on check raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on bro, you know there are other times you should check other than check-raising. Blanket statements are always wrong [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 01:38 PM

alright alright thats true. being that I'm the biggest advocate of no blanket statements, I admit my wrong.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:55 PM

The pre-flop raiser raised when it was checked to him. He could have anything from KK to nothing, although I think if he had KK or something close to as good, the standard play for most would be to slowplay.

I would re-raise $15 more. If he re-re-raises you, fold. If he folds, great. If he calls well, that's a pickle. This leaves you with $16 -- you can either bet out all-in on the turn and hope he folds, or checkfold the rest of the way.

Since you've gotten several responses, and none of them are anything like this, I'm wondering if others might tell me what is wrong with this play.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:07 PM

the reraise line will let you know if he is bluffing but if he has a hand I believe he will go all in if you reraise, even if he has AK.which will prompt you to fold.

I still like this line better than the call the flop, check the turn though.

After reading the hand again, I'm pretty certain villain does not have KQ. I just don't see villain raising KQ from UTG+1 in a full ring game given his description. His flop bet seems too strong for KK or QQ. I'm almost certain he is on AK now. This makes me like the reraise flop line more.