Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-05-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Getting back into limit...AJo on the button

Hi,

Getting back into limit after about 3 months of NL ring games. This seemed pretty standard but I'm so rusty at limit I'm not sure what standard is any more [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Comments on all streets welcome.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (15.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero ???
Old 11-05-2004, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Getting back into limit...AJo on the button

Probably I fight the temptation to check behind on the river and go ahead and bet. I sure don't like that river card, though.

I think everything you've done so far in the hand you've posted is fine.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:03 AM

They should suspect you have an ace(no flush). And the only player reasonably sitting on a c-r is BB. Someone may be too passive to bet an 8, but oh well. I bet.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:09 AM

This is fine. Easy river bet.

Not that an analysis is needed to justify betting, but BB was the primary flush threat due to his flop bet. His position for a checkraise is absolutely terrible and I would expect him to bet out most of the time.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Not that an analysis is needed to justify betting, but BB was the primary flush threat due to his flop bet. His position for a checkraise is absolutely terrible and I would expect him to bet out most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, why should he be betting through the whole hand with a jack kicker? I'm used to NL, but AQ or AK is fairly likely to be out there... at least enough to lose you 4 or so BB everytime you both hit an ace. I know nobody showed strength preflop, but there could easily be a set, 2 pair, or an ace better kicker there. I don't know how fast I'd play TP good kicker on a board showing danger at all when there is 4 or 5 way action.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:58 AM

You need to get used to limit hold'em. AQo and AKo are very likely to raise pre flop except when the most passive of players hold them.

The hand was played excellently on every street. Bet the river for value.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, why should he be betting through the whole hand with a jack kicker? I'm used to NL, but AQ or AK is fairly likely to be out there... at least enough to lose you 4 or so BB everytime you both hit an ace. I know nobody showed strength preflop, but there could easily be a set, 2 pair, or an ace better kicker there. I don't know how fast I'd play TP good kicker on a board showing danger at all when there is 4 or 5 way action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because lots of time he has the best hand, if someone has played AK or AQ so passively then we have won anyway as we have made them play differently than if they could see our cards.

This isnt NL we are not risking all our stack, we look to play agressive when we are probably ahead and even at times when behind, sets, two pair better kickers may be there but we dont see monsters until somone starts firing back at us.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:21 AM

I w'll check, 3 players calling both flop and turn, someone most have got a flush. Is it realy +ev betting here??
Old 11-05-2004, 05:33 AM

Hey Scott,

Betting's the easy part of the river. The more important questions concern what you do after you bet. What do you do if the BB check-raises and it's folded back to you? What if the BB calls and one of the others check-raises leaving you HU? What if the BB check-raises and gets a cold-caller? What if the BB folds and one of the others check-raises leaving you HU?

PS. I limp PF.

GoT
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Scott,

Betting's the easy part of the river. The more important questions concern what you do after you bet. What do you do if the BB check-raises and it's folded back to you? What if the BB calls and one of the others check-raises leaving you HU? What if the BB check-raises and gets a cold-caller? What if the BB folds and one of the others check-raises leaving you HU?

PS. I limp PF.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, you're exactly right GoT. So many scenarios possible on this river if I bet. Board just paired and made the 3-flush. Like I said I've been playing NL and I'm not used to 4 or 5 way rivers [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm ashamed to say I wussed out and checked behind on the river [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]. I knew it was wrong a nanosecond after I clicked, hence the post. In this case it saved me 2 bets because BB had a very strangely played flush draw, but that's irrelevant of course.

As far as my plan had I bet...If BB had check raised me and folded back to me I would have made the crying call.

If he got a caller before it got back to me, fold would probably be the right play, but I'd likely call because I suck.