Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Correct to keep betting?

Hi, all.

My limit hold'em play used to be of the classic weak-tight, monsters-under-the-bed variety. I've recently been goiing through the growing pains that many people seem to experience when trying to add more aggression to their game. Hopefully things are settling down now, and SSH (when read carefully) certainly helps.

All that being said, here's a hand from a recent aggressive phase. I honestly don't know whether this is lunacy or completely standard "keep betting until they let you know you're not ahead" stuff. Comments most welcome.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Has UTG been calling all along with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Surely a made flush would raise me at some point? A hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] certainly seemed plausible... or of course a jack with a real kicker.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Correct to keep betting?

OK, tragic attempt by newbie to bump and attract more interest to a question that's been ignored. If there are no replies just because I'm not yet a regular, I can understand that, but if there's a lack of replies because you consider this play a) absolutely routine or b) stupid, please let me know which.

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:43 AM

I fold this preflop but I don't think a call is horrible.

Same with the bet on the river. I probably check and maybe induce a bluff from the ace or a check from a passive player with a better jack. But a bet isn't bad.

Routine.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:21 AM

Preflop: I call here too.

Flop: I think an argument can be made for folding here. Top pair, no kicker on a flush board with possible overcards - me no likey. However the fact that everyone else is folding is kind of good.

If you play, you have to raise.

Turn: Fine.

River: Check/call, for the reasons listed above.

NT
Old 08-28-2004, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Tortoise, you really wouldn't complete from the SB in a 2/4 game with Jxs after two limpers and a poster? I guess there used to be a time when I wouldn't either but I now feel that my likely pot equity here is easily worth it.

I agree that a fold on the flop looks reasonable. I was tempted to just drop it there but this is the kind of hand where I've been self-consciously forcing myself to play more aggressively.

Thanks for pointing out that a check-call on the river is much more sensible; I agree.

Results not interesting, but for those who care: turns out the guy had KJo. Guess I made him fear the flush to my own detriment.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:26 AM

I would muck this PreFlop, no doubt!
with only 2 limpers itīs not just worth it,the only flop Iīm gonna be comfortable with is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
no but seriosly, if you decide to play this hand you will end up mucking this hand on the flop 90% when the flop doesnīt hit. And when it does kind of hit, you will be faced with some very tough decisions...
Old 08-28-2004, 09:17 AM

I dont like when my posts are being ignored so here comes my 2 cents!

Fold preflop. To few callers (way to few callers IMHO). Even then its just a jack with no kicker. J8s and we are talking.

Flop: I agree this is either a fold or raise, with preferably folding. If you get callers you usually are no good here. WRONG Monotone flop with 3 overcards feels like negative implied odds.

Turn: With raise you have no choice but to bet out. I would probably fold to a raise.

River: Check-call here. I have a hard time seing this would be a value-bet. (That is when you are called you are likely to loose the majority of the times.) Check-call may induce a bluff or a bet from a worse hand.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:52 AM

I think you played this fine.

P.S. This is a ridiculously easy completion from the SB.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:32 AM

I agree about the easy pre-flop completion but I'm not sure about the flop c/r. I would bet this flop fairly frequently but I'm not really fond of check-raising here out of position in a small pot, there are so many bad cards that can fall on the turn or the river if you're not behind at the moment.

If you posted in the CO, I'm much more into raising this flop (although I'm still not sure I would) but in this scenario I prefer a check-fold.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you posted in the CO, I'm much more into raising this flop (although I'm still not sure I would) but in this scenario I prefer a check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...I read this post while drinking my morning coffee, and didn't realize that Hero had checkraised. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]