Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-10-2004, 07:27 AM

Default PP Quarter Million ... Advice

first post.. yay

I recently qualified for the PP Quarter Mill 200+15 this sat. , and usually when i qualify on pstars for this kinda tourney i just use the tourney cash for sng's and the like. Well since I don't have that option, I'm looking for just some simple big buyin tourney advice.. how does the play differ, is everyone solid? I think i'm a decent/solid nlh tourney player but I'm kinda nervous..
Old 09-10-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: PP Quarter Million ... Advice

i also qualified for this tourney...and would also appreciate any advice...its my 1st "big" tourney, though I have played many smaller mtt's... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM

I played that one twice and bubbled both times. I'm not a great player, a rookie actually but this is my advice. A lot of WPT crazies (that's what I refer to them as) qualify and it is wild the first hour or two. Both games I sat back and only played nut hands, AA, KK, QQ, AK etc. for the first two hours and let the crazies weed each other out. I fell below average both times but clawed back into it with timely steals etc. I'm no pro though so take it for what it's worth.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:42 PM

I think that the best plan for a big tourney is to not have a plan and play each situation to the best of your ability.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:04 PM

The blinds increase more slowly in the big tourneys so you have time to sit back and wait for a good hand in good position. However, it is important to switch gears after the first two hours or so and become more aggressive. Folks will be tighening up and it is easier to pick up pots. If you do not open up your standards the blinds will catch up to you.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:27 PM

For the first hour, you probably won't notice much difference from the low buy-in SnG's. There will be a lot of bad players and even worse plays. Around half the field will be gone at the first break.

There seem to be 2 different strategies on this site as to how to play MTT's (very tight at the beginning to avoid horrible beats or looser at the beginning for a chance at a quick double or triple up).

Just remember to play good, solid poker and keep an eye on the other players at the table. You'll need to determine who you're willing to go up against and who you will need to be careful against. Even will all the fish playing in these tournaments, there are some very good players, as well.

Good Luck.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:41 PM

Congrats on your qualification.

One thing to add to what others have said, don't be intimidated by the stakes. Plenty of bad players abound at this level. Don't be afraid to take aggressive action if the situation demands it. The worst possible result is playing scared and fizzling out around the top 30%.

Good luck on Saturday.

Paul
Old 09-10-2004, 06:08 PM

thanks guys, I appreciate the advice, I'll leave ya some updates throughout the day tomorrow let ya know how its going..

thanks again
-JT