Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-17-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Flush On The Turn -- Now What?

10-20 local B&M

UTG solid player limps,UTG+1 limps, MP tricky LAP limps, I limp in the CO with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB and BB limp. 6 players -- 6 small bets.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Blinds check, UTG bets out, UTG+1 calls, tricky MP calls, I raise, blinds fold, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP calls. 4 players -- 14 small bets.

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP bets, I call (?!?). UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, MP folds, I call (?!?). Two players -- 13 big bets.

River is a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG bets, I call.

I think my turn smooth call was suspect, I was hoping to bring along the two players to my left. But it also did not charge the maximum to a player with a solo diamond. Is a raise on the turn the right play. And what do I do after a reraise from UTG. Also, what do I do against the check-raise as happened in the game. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Flush On The Turn -- Now What?

You got this one backwards. Call on the flop, raise on the turn. The turn call is is not debatable. Not only do you charge the draws the maximum by raising, you also give them a chance to fold a hand that may be drawing live, like something containing the Q or K of diamonds.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a raise on the turn the right play? And what do I do after a reraise from UTG?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have raised the turn for the reason you give: charge your opponents to try to draw out on you. Besides those players holding a big diamond, there is a small chance that you are facing two pair or a small set.

Assuming that you raised the turn and UTG 3-bet, just call the raise. Since you have position, bet the river if UTG checks.

[ QUOTE ]
what do I do against the check-raise as happened in the game

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is big. You can't lay your hand down and your hand isn't strong enough to 3-bet. So just call UTG down. By the way, I strongly suspect that you are beat; a likely hand for UTG is something like AdTd.

-- Manzanita
Old 08-17-2004, 05:49 PM

Why did you limp w/ T7s?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 PM

Your turn call is a poor decision. You don't want somebody with a bigger diamond to only pay one bet to get to the river. The pot is big. Protect your hand with a raise.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you limp w/ T7s?

[/ QUOTE ]
same question...
Old 08-17-2004, 08:57 PM

Raise the flop. You're flush isn't very big, so you want to knock out the unsuited high diamonds if you can. Raise and pray for a reraise from UTG.

On the turn you have have to raise MP's bet. I think you're ahead often enough here that you need to try to extract extra bets from the lone big diamonds out there. If you raise the turn and get three bet by a player with even the most basic hand reading skills you're probably up against the nut flush. I've played with people against whom I'd fold and others I'd call, but either way you don't like your hand very much.

The decision that really got you into trouble here was the call before the flop. "How do I get the most for my nut flush?" is a much more enjoyable question to ponder than "could I possibly have the best hand?".
Old 08-17-2004, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you limp w/ T7s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if he played better postflop it would be a +EV limp from the cutoff after 3 limpers.