Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: I folded QQ before the flop

There are good times to fold QQ. This is not one of them IMO. You either need to push or throw in a raise to see if someone else pushes.

I personaly hate QQ. Its harder to get away from then JJ. JJ I dont mind mucking again and again, but QQ is only dominated by 2 hands and a 50% with 1. So three hands out there give QQ much trouble at all.

Id have to say that a push is in order. If you lose then you wasted absolutly no time at all. Its very likely that one of these 2 people has AK, and they would be wrong to call you once you push.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I knew if I went down to AA or KK, or worse yet A2s on the opening hand, i'd basically put my forehead through the freakin' monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's silly. If you go out on the opening hand, you have lost $22, not your limbs, not your reputation, not your pets, just $22. There is no shame in making the right play and losing.

You know why people will call you down with bottom pair on an ace-high board? I'm not sure, but I think they overemphasize how much it hurts to get bluffed off the best hand. This overemphasis is a big weakness that causes horrible mistakes. Fearing a loss on the first hand is a similar weakness.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I knew if I went down to AA or KK, or worse yet A2s on the opening hand, i'd basically put my forehead through the freakin' monitor. And it's not a flat screen either. So perhaps I folded to avoid pain. Adding the monitor replacement cost into the mix made it an easy fold. I suppose if i'd made it through my first cup of coffee already I would call. Who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, first off, he showed QQ, therefor youd have pushed off the third guy and split. so by definition you made the wrong play. as according to the fundamental theory of poker.

must remember to re-read the big yellow bible.

anyhow, as you said, you would of played it differently if youd of had your coffee. WHAT!!!

let me emphasise it, WHAT!!!, if your playing in a game where your not mentally or physically prepared for it no wonder you made a cold hard wrong decision.

maybe you need to prep for your games a little harder.

and if you would even in jest consider nutting your monitor after a bad beat, perhaps you need a less stressful past-time, such as heraldy, making model planes or learning the violin.

a sarcy and entirely un-caffeined Phill
Old 08-09-2004, 10:33 AM

Default My view of this is..........................

I push but for these reasons

1) The blinds are 5/10
2) His overbet to me indicates a weaker PP than QQ
3) I doubt AA KK AK for the reason given above

Some people here dismiss the chances of running into AA or KK too easily, at a full table (9 handed) you have around a 7.8% of running into one of these hands when holding QQ, in addition you stand a 10.45% of running into AKs or AKo. These odds are small, however not inconsequential, ignore it at your peril in my opinion.

Here I feel there was a good chance he had a vulnerable pair as he overbet so I would push over the top.

Regards Mack
Old 08-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Folding makes sense here only if one of them shows you AA or KK. Since it's not possible to see what other people hold when you play on-line (unless you have some way to hack Paradise), folding is not an option.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:16 PM

First let me say, I like it.
Second, against your crowd, I wouldn't do it.
Third, if it's 10-10 and above there are only 6 combinations of hands he can beat (JJ 6 ways) and 21? ways he is beat. On the flop of course.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:47 AM

its true, i put the guy on pocket pair TT to AA. this was based on how he bet the flop.

just on the preflop action, you cant be anywhere that specific, AJ or even AT become possibles, along with a pocket pair (ive seen it done with em all but for argument lets say snowmen or over) and most aces, especially if it has a pretty picture next to it.

therfor, preflop, you gotta assume its your pot.

Phill
Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Good Hand Frequency table online?

[ QUOTE ]
I push but for these reasons

1) The blinds are 5/10
2) His overbet to me indicates a weaker PP than QQ
3) I doubt AA KK AK for the reason given above

Some people here dismiss the chances of running into AA or KK too easily, at a full table (9 handed) you have around a 7.8% of running into one of these hands when holding QQ, in addition you stand a 10.45% of running into AKs or AKo. Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I agree. At least on Party low-limit SNGs, I think people like to be "sneakier" with AA or KK and will often tend to raise or re-raise a smaller amount in order to try to ensure at least 1 caller. Sometimes it seems like they'd rather have AA cracked than just pick up the blinds or a tiny pot.

Mack- where did you get those %s? Anyone know of a source / table online that has a "Against X players, you have a Y% chance of running into hand Z". I have TwoDimes Showdown web calculator running whenever I play a SNG, but haven't found another good hand stats page.

Thanks