Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Default Three KK Hands -- Am I An Incurable Weak-Tighty?

$10-20 local B&M. Ten-handed.

Hand #1

LAG in MP limps, I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in CO-1 and I raise, TPA in CO calls, everyone else folds. Three players $75.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

MP checks, I bet, CO folds, MP calls. Two players -- $95.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP checks, I bet, MP calls. Two players -- $135.

River is a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP bets (?!?). I call. Should I be raising here? What do I do if he re-raises? I can't drop it.

Hand #2

I'm UTG with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I limp (which I normally never do, but I was trying to mix up my game a little), five callers, including blinds. Six players -- $60.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, Solid MP1 calls, TPA MP2 calls, everyone else folds. Three players -- $90.

Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check(?!?) is this right? I don't like seeing the third club on the turn with two players limping along, but I do have a K high club draw. Since I have nine outs I thought I should check. Maybe in last position I would bet it if it was checked to me. Is this right?

Anyhow, other two players check behind. Three players -- $90. And I smoke a bet before seeing the river card, hoping to induce a call. This is also a questionable play.

River is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP2 calls.

Hand #3

I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+1 and I raise, LAG EP calls two cold and CO-1, whose play is of near maniacal proportions, calls. Three players -- $75.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, EP calls, CO-1 raises, I re-raise, EP folds, CO-1 caps it. Two players -- $165.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check(?!?). Is this a bad check. I wasn't necessarily worried about the J making two pair, but I thought he had hit a set on the flop or made some weird two pair. He checks behind. Two players -- $165.

River is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls.

In each of these hands did I give the other guy too much credit for making his hand when I had a strong holding? Thanks in advance.

Signed: Incurable Weak-Tighty.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Three KK Hands -- Am I An Incurable Weak-Tighty?

Play stronger on the turn. 1 on 1 you should always cap it on the flop if you have AA or KK with a board that that is the overpair with no 3 flush or straight available. And bet out on the turn.....
Old 08-02-2004, 12:58 PM

saying you should "always" do something is normally bad advice. If you have position, calling a 3-bet and raising the turn is sometimes a good play. Calling a 3-bet and leading a safe turn card is also sometimes a good play. Calling a 3-bet and check-raising the turn can be a good play too if you're out of position on the flop.

Gavin
Old 08-02-2004, 01:08 PM

Hand 1-
If you can't fold to a 3-bet on the river you should probably just call. My default play in a situation like this is to call. He either made 2-pair with 54 or something like that or he is bluffing hoping to get AK to fold. There is really no reason to raise here as he will not call with his bluff and if he does call your raise, you are probably beat, not to mention if he 3-bets, you're most-likely beat, but calling because the pot has now balooned.

Hand 2-
I don't like limping because it seems like this game is very passive. Generally the game needs to be quite aggressive for me to try a limp-re-raise. Flop is fine. I think you should bet the turn. You most likely have best hand best draw. If you are raised, you're calling here and calling the river. I actually like the smoke bet on the river, mostly because it's fun to smoke the river.

Hand 3-
Bet the turn, call a raise and call the river. If not raised on the turn, bet the river.

Gavin
Old 08-02-2004, 03:24 PM

In hand 1 I think the most likely hands your opponent beats you with are A3 or 55. But more often I've seen people attempting to make plays on the river with uncoordinated boards not believing you have the overpair. One often gets anxious and calls here but I think against the average opponent in this situation I like raising. He thinks you on autobet mode with big cards and is either attempting to valuebet with a weak hand or making a move on the pot. Many player will pay off your raise on the river with a weak hand.

Hand 2: I rarely limp with KK but like you in rare situations I've decided to do so for xx reasons. But after that I'm playing it very fast. My hand is diguised and I will fire bets at every opportunity. I wouldn't hesitate when the third club came out unless one of my opponents had raised my flopbet.

Hand 3: The only reason I'm checking the turn against an opponent like this is to checkraise him with my overpair. But I usually just bet and collect in these spots.

Finding the balance between prudence and overaggression isn't easy, but I usually prefer erring on the side of prudence--though in fact an err is an err is an err and they all cost money [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 08-02-2004, 05:01 PM

Hand #1:

Call. The wheel (or improbable 36) got there 4 out of 5 times, otherwise 45 for two pair got there. There's very little reason to raise here as you're behind on the river almost certainly. Even if he's bluffing, what's the use? He'll fold to your raise. Be thankful you weren't check-raised.

P.S. Some of this is opponent dependent as people who make hidden hands generally check-raise, so there are cases where you raise in cause you feel your opponent bet out because he didn't want something like AJ to be checked behind.

Hand #2

You should bet it out yourself on the turn. Being scared of flush cards is a sigh of being weak. Besides, you yourself have the 2nd nut flush draw in case you're wrong. With the 10 coming, there are a lot of possible draws now including A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]x, 9J and KJ, Qx,. Don't give them a chance at a free look at the river.

Hand #3

[ QUOTE ]
whose play is of near maniacal proportions

[/ QUOTE ]

This alone says you should bet out the turn. If the person is sane and insists on taking the lead on the flop by 4-betting after I've shown preflop and 3-bet aggression on the flop, then I will usually acquiesce.

I'm willing to bet the maniac has something like Q10 or Qx and wants to buy a "free" card no matter how expensive it is. With AQ or KQ, a maniac will probably bet the turn.

Garland
Old 08-03-2004, 01:34 AM

hi knock

you need to step it up with your over-pairs on the expensive rounds, tending to bet unless the board is highly coordinated, and then you should check-call about half the time. why? i don't know.

the limp reraise attempt with KK is fine. you should limp reraise about half as often as you would with KK when you have AA. why? well, i know this one. there aren't many aces left in the deck those times you have AA for someone behind you to raise. the AA is therefore more likely to get called around.