Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 AM

Default Help! NL Home game advice needed.

Hi,

i am mostly a limit player online. But I play in a weekly NLHE home game with some friends with this structure:

$15 max. buyin, reload back to 15 any time. .25/.50 blinds, usually 7-10 handed.

with such a small buyin, there is a LOT of calling, with many hands going to showdown. Almost plays like a limit game. Can anyone give me some general strategy advice on a game like this?

Should I be more or less aggressive than in a more standard NL game with a bigger max. buyin?

Early on when the stacks are all about equal and small, should it be all-in or fold on the flop? Like if I hit TPTK or something should I just go all-in, as that is about the only way to get drawing hands to even consider folding.

I feel I am the best player at the table in that game usually, but I am not doing great in it. Breaking even or a little ahead overall. then again maybe I just suck [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Help!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: Help! NL Home game advice needed.

Oh man. I just saw that I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Help! NL Home game advice needed.

Scott,

Even though you're in the wrong board, I'll give this one a shot. I too am a limit micro player online but play some NLHE at home for similar stakes. I also find that the game plays almost like a limit game - whereas pot sized bets are common online at this level, in the home game you rarely see people bet more than 1 or 2 bucks. 30 to 40 cents is a common pre-flop raise, lots of bets in the half-dollar range on the flop.

I love to pound on people in this game, especially the ones who like the limit-like play. I overbet my TPTK type hands constantly. They are usually big favorites anyway. You can drive people nuts by forcing them to fold more than they want to.

I limp a lot in these games because the implied odds are huge. At least in my experience there's always someone who doesn't want to let you buy it.

NT