Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 03-21-2004, 12:48 AM

Default Who can fold AK here?

Hi all,

PartyPoker multi-table tournament. First round. The blinds are 10-15.

I have AK in early position. I open-raised 75 with AK (suite doesn't matter.) The guy next to me cold-called. Heads up.

The flop came AT2r. I bet 150. The next guy raised 300. I just called. The turn came 6. I checked. He bet all-in for about 600. I also had about 600. Do you call or fold?

Thank you

Soh
Old 03-21-2004, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Who can fold AK here?

Hey Soh,

No turning back now...you've gone this far in, and if you thought you had the best hand before, I don't see how you can dump it now. However, what you SHOULD'VE done was to somehow get them all-in on the flop, either by leading all-in (not very effective if you want a large pot, but should be enough to take it), or to have raised him all-in on the flop. I feel that just calling was probably the weakest play you could have made there. You made your raise before the flop, and hit a flop you had every reason to like. This is the type of situation you wanted, so you need to take advantage of it and do all you can to win the pot however you can. Hope it turned out ok for you.

-Edge
Old 03-21-2004, 02:59 AM

You know it's just one of those Party poker nimwits that called you with A5o after just watching the World Poker Tour. He thinks he can raise you out of this pot. If he has two pair or a set on the flop he is not going to play the hand as aggressively as he did. You need to put him all-in here and he will need to catch a card to beat you.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:13 AM

Hello Edge,

You're right that I played pretty weak. One of the reasons why I played in a way that I did is in case he was calling before the flop with weak Ace or a pair that's not AA, I didn't want him to fold, so by calling, I encouraged him to keep betting. At the same time, there're small chance that I was beat by AT or TT. In that case, I want to show some weakness, so that he wouldn't bet too much.

Thank you for your response.

Soh
Old 03-21-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Result

I called the turn all-in bet. The river blanked and we split the pot as he had AK too.

Soh
Old 03-21-2004, 10:19 AM

Hi,

I called the turn, and split the pot as he had AK too. I thought by calling his raise on the flop and checking the turn, I think I accomplished weak hands not to fold and stronger hand than AK not to bet too much.

Soh