Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: A Note to \"WannaBe\" Pros

[ QUOTE ]
I love this game and imo its not that hard if you are smart about things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's true, but not for all players. Good high-stakes players think it's very easy to win at low stakes, while some players couldn't win at low stakes if their lives depended on it. It's like... it's easy IF you put a lot of effort in it, study, focus, have good money management, are intelligent, etc.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Note: this isn't aimed at anyone in specific. Just writing my general thoughts on this topic.

Regardless of whether someone wants to go pro or get a real job, I still wouldn't trade my college experience for anything (I graduated in 2004, I'm one year out). The things I learned, both in the classroom and out, the people I met and lifelong friends I made, the parties, etc. It seriously was the best damn 4 years of my life. If you have absolutely no interest and motivation to work toward a degree right now, I don't think it's awful to take a year or two off from college if you can make a lot of money while the poker boom is still around. I would highly recommend you still participate in some sort part-time job or volunteer organization though, even if it's only a few hours a week. You always want to continue to keep your social network alive. One good reason is if you ever want to change from being a poker pro, you're going to need good references and letters of recommendation. Pretty much everything you apply to in life demands these.

You can go back to college at any age, but if you wait too long, you won't be able to experience the true social aspect of college. If you're starting to get into your late 20s, you're just not going to fit in with the younger college students. Maybe you're not interested in the social aspect of college. That's fine then, to each his own.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:19 PM

while I am still in college and plan to finish while doing as little as possible, I find it depressing that everyone says those were the best years of my life...What am I going to do for the next 60-70 years? I'm sorry but I really just hate hearing that phrase. You can still have as good of time when you are 40, I am sure of it.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:25 PM

Americans have too much fun in college in general, but I must admit that I miss the old college days myself. Basically, the rest of your life after school is just one long blur of 9-5 living....with an occasionally good poker game thrown in

Indy
Old 12-22-2005, 04:27 PM

One thing I forgot to mention when I said poker is "hard." Its not that hard in poker to make a living, but its kinda hard to make a super-living. Realistically, anyone who studies hard and commits to the game will make 30K/yr or whatever you need to survive these days. Its a different ? if someone can make over 250K/yr or not. That's where I aim myself but its hard part time to accomplish it.

Indy
Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while I am still in college and plan to finish while doing as little as possible, I find it depressing that everyone says those were the best years of my life...What am I going to do for the next 60-70 years? I'm sorry but I really just hate hearing that phrase. You can still have as good of time when you are 40, I am sure of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there have been studies on just this topic.

When old folks are asked to talk about their memories, they usually talk about things that happened before they were 25.

But they were happiest after 25.

The conclusion: college is (or should be) the most *memorable* four years of your life. It will help you become the happy person you will be later.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 PM

i like this reply, thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 04:51 PM

Just don't buy a bunch of [censored] when you get outta college with your first job and you will be ok. Tying yourself down with material obligations will make you miserable in the long run and keep you from being flexible and happy like you were in college.

Indy
Old 12-22-2005, 05:11 PM

While It has been dificult at times, it has also been very rewarding. I have learned so many +EV life situations from this game (including discipline, self control, and money management just to name a few.) If you have few responsibilities and have a passion for the game, I highly recommend it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you need a profound trust and faith in yourself and a complete disregard for the opinions and input of others

[/ QUOTE ]

How ironic is this coming from a guy who says that I wasn't cut out for this job??????!!!!