Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-20-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Congratulations to the \'72 Dolphins

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That same week saw a previously perfect St. Johns team lose their 28th game of the season to Xavier in the Atlantic 10 tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]
St. Joe's. But, same idea.

I think another reason all the Dolphins would hate to see another team go undefeated(besides the fact they wouldn't be the only ones to accomplish it) is that the next team to go undefeated would be considered better than the Dolphins, simply because winning 19 games is harder than winning 17 games...At least, that's the way I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]
D'oh on St. Joes. Brain lock. My apologies to Jameer, Delonte and co.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

seriously, why the hell do the Colts have a dome?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is just a troll, but I hear it often enough I'll respond anyway.

The Hoosier/RCA Dome was built before Indy had an NFL team. It was built to entice a team to come here, but it's also part of the convention center which has become a pretty big business in Indianapolis. It also was designed to host basketball events (as another poster noted, basketball is king here) such as the NCAA tourney and the highschool state finals which also draw crowds bigger than other facilities could accomodate.

That said, construction is already underway on a new retractible-roof stadium here. A big part of the selling point for the new stadium was that the existing dome could be torn down to allow the convention center to expand so that existing conventions wouldn't outgrow Indianapolis and go elsewhere.

The weather isn't as much of a factor. It's my impression that people here could care less about just the cold tempatures for games, but sitting through a game in freezing rain (which is more common here than snow) really sucks.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

seriously, why the hell do the Colts have a dome?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is just a troll, but I hear it often enough I'll respond anyway.

The Hoosier/RCA Dome was built before Indy had an NFL team. It was built to entice a team to come here, but it's also part of the convention center which has become a pretty big business in Indianapolis. It also was designed to host basketball events (as another poster noted, basketball is king here) such as the NCAA tourney and the highschool state finals which also draw crowds bigger than other facilities could accomodate.

That said, construction is already underway on a new retractible-roof stadium here. A big part of the selling point for the new stadium was that the existing dome could be torn down to allow the convention center to expand so that existing conventions wouldn't outgrow Indianapolis and go elsewhere.

The weather isn't as much of a factor. It's my impression that people here could care less about just the cold tempatures for games, but sitting through a game in freezing rain (which is more common here than snow) really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't a troll, but thanks for the answer.