Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: LA Poker Room advice

[ QUOTE ]
I'm heading to an L.A. poker room this next week with my brother and looking for advice. It's probably between the Bike, the Commerce, and the Hustler.

He plays 3-6, 4-8, possibly 6-12

I play 4-8 up through 10-20. (Prefer 6-12 or 8-16)

We are looking for soft games, don't really care about other factors. What's our play?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want the luxury of being able to look over many tables to find the softest game, go to Commerce or the Bike. They're the biggest places and have the most games going. That'll give you a chance to pick out a soft table and try to get seated at it, even if that means asking for a table change. Good luck!!
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"you can make money, you're just paying too much of it to the house"

If you buy in for $200 and cash out $400, you have made $200. (2+2 DOES =4) It doesn't matter if you paid $5 in rake or $400 during that session. (see 2+2=4)

If i played 2000 hours of 20/40 this year and made $40,000, did I really make $68,000 but payed $28,000 in rake? No!

Let's keep it simple, let's keep it real, let's keep it real simple:

2+2=4

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

Assuming this isn't a troll, the rake is worse at lower limits because it's a bigger % of the BB or pot size. Obviously, whatever you take away from the table at the end of the session has already had the rake deducted.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm heading to an L.A. poker room this next week with my brother and looking for advice. It's probably between the Bike, the Commerce, and the Hustler.

He plays 3-6, 4-8, possibly 6-12

I play 4-8 up through 10-20. (Prefer 6-12 or 8-16)

We are looking for soft games, don't really care about other factors. What's our play?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want the luxury of being able to look over many tables to find the softest game, go to Commerce or the Bike. They're the biggest places and have the most games going. That'll give you a chance to pick out a soft table and try to get seated at it, even if that means asking for a table change. Good luck!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Commerce is about 10X bigger than the bike, would recommend that game for low limit action, bike has lots of props.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you don't undersand why a pro might prefer making 1.5BB an hour at 20-40 to making 4BB an hour at 3-6.

The only issue with making money at low limits is the rake, and even then you can make money, you're just paying too much of it to the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for being the first person to raise an intelligent argument on this thread.

It's amazing that so many refrain from discussion on a "discussion board."

[/ QUOTE ]

DeeMo,

Welcome to the boards. I think if you spend some time here you'll find that some of the smartest minds in poker are associated w/ the 2+2 publishing company. Most of the flaming you've received so far seems to be due to a common understanding that loose games are ALWAYS beatable for more bets per hour than those with tighter, more skilled players. It's just mathmatics. Ed Miller's book, Small Stakes Hold'em is considered by most to be the definitive work on these games. You should seriously pick up a copy and visit the microlimits forum for great discussion of the game.

You will find that the members here practice a tough love method - no offense should be taken. We are all here to learn and posting incorrect opinions is the best way to do that.

Best of luck,

Salty
Old 12-17-2005, 05:25 AM

I almost find this as funny as a LONG time player at Bike who could not be convinced that a pocket pair had a 1 in 8 chance of hitting trips on the flop. I broke it down for him....2/48, 2/47, 2/46. His quote was: "Well that is just fuzzy math because you can't know that those cards aren't in another player's hand"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you buy in for $200 and cash out $400, you have made $200. (2+2 DOES =4) It doesn't matter if you paid $5 in rake or $400 during that session. (see 2+2=4)

If i played 2000 hours of 20/40 this year and made $40,000, did I really make $68,000 but payed $28,000 in rake? No!

2+2=4

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

Assuming this isn't a troll, the rake is worse at lower limits because it's a bigger % of the BB or pot size. Obviously, whatever you take away from the table at the end of the session has already had the rake deducted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-17-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure there's a reason pros (ppl that make their living at poker grinding it out...not big game pros) don't play 3/6 - 9/18 Limit Holdem. Do you think they would actually avoid a game that can be beat on a consistent basis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Just...wow.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:43 PM

2/50, 2/49, 2/48

I gotta quite posting when I'm tired.

[ QUOTE ]
I almost find this as funny as a LONG time player at Bike who could not be convinced that a pocket pair had a 1 in 8 chance of hitting trips on the flop. I broke it down for him....2/48, 2/47, 2/46. His quote was: "Well that is just fuzzy math because you can't know that those cards aren't in another player's hand"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2+2=4

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]