Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: An unimaginative 17% VPIP, 9% PFR, raises in MP. You have AQo. You...
Raise 10 40.00%
Call 3 12.00%
Fold 12 48.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Failed my first class ever

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I failed the class because I wasn't smart enough to read the syllabus and realize that if I don't pick up all of my quizes from the professor during his office hours then they become zeros.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try to fight this. Make an appointment with your dean.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly would you plan to say? "I didn't bother to read the syllabus and realize that I had to do X, Y and Z to pass"? I'm betting most of the students in the class passed, because they picked up their quizzes, and that leaves him with not much to stand on.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this is bad for law schools. I would write a letter to some dean and explain that it was a simple oversight if I was you. Also schedule a meeting with your professor and explain that you were riveted by the class as shown by your good marks and say you really would appreciate if he would consider passing you given the impact of an F. Youd be surprised how often this can work.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this was a course last year, which was just bad for me in general, so it's over and done with. I'm kind of hoping that my other marks and some incredible internships I've had will make up for it.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I failed the class because I wasn't smart enough to read the syllabus and realize that if I don't pick up all of my quizes from the professor during his office hours then they become zeros.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try to fight this. Make an appointment with your dean.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly would you plan to say? "I didn't bother to read the syllabus and realize that I had to do X, Y and Z to pass"? I'm betting most of the students in the class passed, because they picked up their quizzes, and that leaves him with not much to stand on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking more like "I obviously understood\learned all of the material. It isn't my fault that some stupid [censored] has a ridiculous rule in his class."
Old 12-16-2005, 04:07 PM

I failed one my first semester. A) GPA is meaningless unless you want to go to grad school, or join certain organizations B) It probably is a good indication you should not be in the class, cuz either u cant do it or dont want to C) Nobody really cares, and lots of peeps fail classes. I had 1.4 gpa after my first semester, and im above a 3 now, and i do no work. School doesnt even matter that much, but thats a whole other story. Good luck, dont worry about it.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:10 PM

OP - I believe there is a fairly straightforward, simple metric, that weights your LSAT and your GPA to come to a raw number for admissions purposes. Most US law schools go strictly by this metric I think. Ask your academic advisor, or just search online or go to a bookstore and you will find this.

Other considerations are factored in (e.g. if you were an Olympic athlete). Most notable other non-score consideration is quality of your undergrad education. There is a reason why at, say Columbia Law, like 80% of the admittees are from 10 schools.

The F will impact your chances at law school as it will be calculated in the above metric... but is also a red flag. You will have to think of some clever way to explain it away - again ask your academic advisor, or get some law school handbook crap, to assist you.

-Al

Edit - by "quality" of undergrad, I mean prestige, obviously the quality of say a Harvard education and a less prestigious undergrad education can be quite similar.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:37 PM

i took a class in the "american culture" department called "american values" for my "race/ethnicity" requirment. i took it pass/fail (so no affect on GPA). they allow 4 absences before you fail. i felt pretty dumb when i overslept and accidentally got my fifth.

ah, sophomore year.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM

If you can't follow directions you should fail
Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM

donkey,

Old 12-16-2005, 06:32 PM

i assume that was a quickreply to the OP.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:35 PM

I failed Object Oriented Programming and now for the past two years my job has been programming objects and methods.

Edit - Also, in the book "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" Robert quotes his rich dad as saying, "My banker and accountant have never asked to see my college grades".