Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Default First 55 AJ hand.

Don't usually play sit n gos, help me out please.

4 handed, 50/100 blinds. I have about 2500 in sb, button has 3k. Button is pretty tight, doesn't get out of line from what I've seen.

He raises to 300 from button, I go 750(good?) with AJo.

Flop KJ6, two diamonds(I have none). I check, he pushes, I fold. Too weak?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: First 55 AJ hand.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously we need to know the payout structure and remaining stack sizes; but it goes without saying it's horrible to throw 1/3 of your stack in preflop and leave yourself in a check/fold situation.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously we need to know the payout structure and remaining stack sizes; but it goes without saying it's horrible to throw 1/3 of your stack in preflop and leave yourself in a check/fold situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do we need all of that to make an intelligent response, but a read on villain would be helpful. Still, I'm almost always folding preflop. You've got plenty of chips, you're nowhere near desperate, and AJo is just not that good of a hand. Better to be the first one in a pot with a crap hand than the second in with a mediocre one.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:19 PM

It sounds like you just answered the question without all of that information.

And if you can't figure out the payout strcuture, well, then ...

My, everyone is answering the question without all of that information.

With a crappy hand like AJo, I wouldn't be reraising this in this spot (4 left 50/100)

You've got a lot of chips and a lot of time to work. So I probably fold this. The only thing that would really change this is if the short stack had less than 4xBB, then I would always fold.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only do we need all of that to make an intelligent response, but a read on villain would be helpful. Still, I'm almost always folding preflop. You've got plenty of chips, you're nowhere near desperate, and AJo is just not that good of a hand. Better to be the first one in a pot with a crap hand than the second in with a mediocre one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave a read on villain. Payout is whatever is standard for party sng. Can't remember other stack sizes, both close to ours, one guy supertight, one guy huge donkey.

Are you really giving up Aj to a possible steal?

As played would anyone push the flop? Anyone call his push?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:24 PM

I'm agreeing with the other comments, but if you do decide to play it, going all-in is preferable to the raise you made, because of the stack size. A rule of thumb is if a normal bet or raise would be 40% of your stack, go all-in instead.

On the minus side of the all-in is that you said the button play tight, and doesn't get out of line. OTOH, he is on the button, so this is a perfect opportunity for a steal. So there's a good chance your AJo has him beat, and even if it doesn't, he'd probably fold AQo and possibly AK and a number of pairs that have you beat, especially assuming you also have a tight image. So going all-in with AJo seems reasonable.

An alternative to check-folding the flop would be to push yourself. If he doesn't have a King, it will be hard for him to call, and the chances are he doesn't.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave a read on villain. Payout is whatever is standard for party sng. Are you really giving up Aj to a possible steal? As played would anyone push the flop? Anyone call his push?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the pot on the flop, 1500 with 1500 behind? As played you have to shove since you can't check/call his push which could be anything including a semibluff.

Don't put yourself in this situation to begin with, especially four handed and more so if one of the remaining stacks is short. Shove or fold preflop, the former only with a bulletproof read - risking your whole stack to pick up 300 chips here with AJ just ain't worth it.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I gave a read on villain. Payout is whatever is standard for party sng. Are you really giving up Aj to a possible steal? As played would anyone push the flop? Anyone call his push?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the pot on the flop, 1500 with 1500 behind? As played you have to shove since you can't check/call his push which could be anything including a semibluff.

Don't put yourself in this situation to begin with, especially four handed and more so if one of the remaining stacks is short. Shove or fold preflop, the former only with a bulletproof read - risking your whole stack to pick up 300 chips here with AJ just ain't worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok thanks.

I usually play cash games. But when I play tournaments(which is rare) I usually get far, but never with enough chips to win. So I was practicing with some sngs to get more experience picking up chips in decent spots.