Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: PLO8 $100 hand

The only mistake I really think I made here was not checking behind on the turn. I really didn't have much to lose by doing that. I'm torn on calling/raising the flop. Equity-wise, raising is fine, but only if you don't make a big mistake like I did on the turn ("mistake" from a Fund. Theory of Poker perspective). So waiting on a safe turn is probably the better play since a mistake will generally cost you less.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only mistake I really think I made here was not checking behind on the turn. I really didn't have much to lose by doing that. I'm torn on calling/raising the flop. Equity-wise, raising is fine, but only if you don't make a big mistake like I did on the turn ("mistake" from a Fund. Theory of Poker perspective). So waiting on a safe turn is probably the better play since a mistake will generally cost you less.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the bigger mistake was definitely betting the turn. However, I'm not sure that raising the flop is correct "equity-wise". (Can you explain what you mean?) Twodimes won't work here because you're not all-in. You'd have to count the number of turn cards that you'll feel safe betting, multiply that by your win% with those cards, and then count all the other turn cards as zeros, assuming you'll have to fold to any action they bring. Raising prob isn't equity-wise correct IMO
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont agree with the above posters who say pot the flop.

I say wait until the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree this is best line. I don't always do it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think OOP waiting til the turn to go heavy is better, but in position I think betting the flop is probably better.

-g
Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont agree with the above posters who say pot the flop.

I say wait until the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree this is best line. I don't always do it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think OOP waiting til the turn to go heavy is better, but in position I think betting the flop is probably better.

-g

[/ QUOTE ]
Reasons? I presume to hopefully buy a freecard if the turn doesn't cooperate?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Because you have good equity vs. almost any other hand here. And with position you can use it. There are many cards that scare you – but almost as many will scare your opponent.

And yes, I'd always check that turn

-g
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 PM

Well, you have good equity, but I'm not sure you can really use all of it. For example, suppose you're a coinflip with some sort of wrap low. If the low arrives on the turn, you're in deep sh!t, can't call a bet from OOP if he's aware enough to realize he needs to fire out *in case* you were buying a free card on the flop. So you're not going to get to cash in on the equity you "flopped" in situations where the low arrives on turn but board pairs on riv.

On the flipside, if the low does not arrive on the turn, a wrap-low draw can still check-call; even if the board pairs, giving you lock on high, it would certainly be "more correct" for a low draw to check-call than it would for your set aces of aces to call an OOP bet on a wheel'd board as in above. So the opponent may be able to cash in on the equity he has when you catch first, him second.

However, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I think raising in position with this hand is probably nearly neutral equity wise, and has many metagame image-related benefits too.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Yeah, its the difference between trumpets and trombone's. Either way is fine.

-g
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 PM

First off I would not have limped in with this hand, raise it or muck it. You're single suited with Aces and a bad low draw preflop. This hand only works well heads-up or 3 way. You're dogmeat against a big field. Secondly, this is really is not a good flop for you. I know you might think so flopping nut set, but look at the hand closely. Only a 9 is a safe card for you. Every other card brings either a low or a straight draw, with or without a flush draw. Most likely a flush draw with it. Unfortunately you have to pray for the board to pair the turn or muck it, Yes Muck It! Unless you get a free ride to the river or a very cheap turn bet, you're probably not going to get the right odds to call. JMO...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:04 AM

I disagree with basically all of what you just said. Thanks for your opinion, though.