Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-12-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]
gave me a genuine apology for the way it went down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why apologize to a guy who had didn't play in the event? Daniel's probably pissed because nobody thought to give him an excemption. (come to think of it, Paul Phillips could have used one, couldn't he? Maybe it's envy rearing it's ugly green head)

How do I get a personal apology?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Negreanu\'s latest blog update...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

E-mail Paul Phillips, his latest apology went over quite well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2005, 08:32 PM

Default TOC snafu update

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gave me a genuine apology for the way it went down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why apologize to a guy who had didn't play in the event? Daniel's probably pissed because nobody thought to give him an excemption. (come to think of it, Paul Phillips could have used one, couldn't he? Maybe it's envy rearing it's ugly green head)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a little excerpt from Daniel's latest CP article about the TOC snafu:

Now to the good stuff: At 6:00pm this evening I met with Jeffrey Pollack- Vice President of Sports Marketing for Harrah's and also in charge of the WSOP- at Bradley Ogden.

I had heard good things about Jeffrey, that he was a reasonable guy and really wanted to do things right. He has only been with the company for a couple of months so most of the problems we've seen haven't been things that are related to him.

He has an extensive background in sports marketing, from the NBA to Nascar, and stressed that he feels it's extremely important that the players should be treated like customers.

It's a unique situation, as with the NBA the players are being paid, while the poker players actually put up their own money. He fully understood that difference and from what he said he seems committed to protecting the WSOP brand.

The first topic of conversation was the TOC and the three player exemptions that were added late in the game. He gave me a genuine apology for the way it went down. He agreed that the players should have known from the get go that they may add player exemptions. He also guaranteed that something like that would never happen again.

We then talked more about creating relationships between the players and the WSOP so that we can fix these issues before they happen. He seemed very interested in hearing feedback from me and other players on how to improve the WSOP next year.

One of my suggestions, of course, was improving the schedule. I understand full well that the $1500 no limit hold'em events pack the place, but if what they say is true, that they want to protect the brand of the World Series of Poker, it means they'll have to sacrifice some of that revenue to ensure that it doesn't turn into a hold'em only series.

He actually had some good ideas on how to improve upon the schedule by possibly adding some interesting events. He gave me no promises that the schedule would in fact change, but he did say that he is going to rip it apart if he had to.

Personally, I would love to see the following event: H.O.S.E all the way down to the final table where the game would then become no limit hold'em. This would satisfy the players who are all around good players, increase the likelihood of a final table with star power, while maintaining the core television audience by giving them what they want- no limit hold'em.

Dinner was great, and I left feeling really good about writing the previous blog. Jeffrey obviously read the blog and didn't seem offended by it in any way. In fact, if anything, he complimented me on being outspoken.

I'm big on forgiveness and am more than willing to wipe the slate clean and see what develops over the next year.

One other interesting fact about Jeffrey that surprised me- his brother is NHL commissioner Gary Bettman! Who woulda thunk?

IOW, he got an apology.