Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Live and cheap

Same Borgata game, 3rd hand of the session. Nothing really interesting, just a standard live phenomenon that one can easily discourage by value-betting. I raise UTG+2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], folds to the button who coldcalls. I've played with him before, he's passive and straightforward and middle-aged. A typical slightly too loose and much too passive player you find everywhere who will never change because he's already over 40 and has been playing for years and is a marginal winner/small loser and you internet punks don't know poker etc etc etc. Blinds drop.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet, he raises, I call.

Turn is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, and I call expecting to win a bet if I improve, get to showdown every time if I have the best hand currently, and fold if he bets a river blank.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Live and cheap

I think this one is simplest.

[ QUOTE ]
and middle-aged. A typical slightly too loose and much too passive player you find everywhere who will never change because he's already over 40 and has been playing for years and is a marginal winner/small loser and you internet punks don't know poker etc etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ageist! Actually I have been finding many 40-somethings who have learned to play more aggressively after many years. Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet, he raises, I call.

Turn is the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, and I call expecting to win a bet if I improve, get to showdown every time if I have the best hand currently, and fold if he bets a river blank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's right. He is most likely on Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or JT. Accepting your ageist stereotype, he will check behind with his A-high/JT hand and bet his top pair.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is most likely on Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or JT. Accepting your ageist stereotype, he will check behind with his A-high/JT hand and bet his top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he will actually check TP.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM

Dave,

This seems pretty straightforward, but I actually find this really interesting.

The fact that SO MANY live players are willing to check behind tons of good hands on the river gives you a lot of leeway on the turn. You can call a turn bet here knowing that such a player will NEVER bet an inferior hand (basically because you know he'll often fail to bet many superior hands) on the river.

The result is that instead of having a 2 BB call down situation, you have a true 1 BB call down. The 1 BB call becomes very clearly positive EV when you realize you are cashing in the full equity you have for when you have the best hand and get a chance to improve.

Nice hand.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is most likely on Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or JT. Accepting your ageist stereotype, he will check behind with his A-high/JT hand and bet his top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I guess he might. In fact, I might check behind if my TP did not have a good kicker (A or K)... is that bad? Maybe I am getting too close to forty...
Old 11-08-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I guess he might. In fact, I might check behind if my TP did not have a good kicker (A or K)... is that bad? Maybe I am getting too close to forty...

[/ QUOTE ]

[Chuck is old joke] WILL INSERT LATER [/Chuck is old joke]
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[Chuck is old joke] WILL INSERT LATER [/Chuck is old joke]

[/ QUOTE ]

Respect your elders -- or I might have to smack you over the head with my walker...
Old 11-09-2005, 01:27 AM

Isn't this a table / hand to limp preflop since they will call one bet with lots of dominated hands but two bets usually with just dominating hands?

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a table / hand to limp preflop since they will call one bet with lots of dominated hands but two bets usually with just dominating hands?

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Same Borgata game, 3rd hand of the session.

[/ QUOTE ]