Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 10-10-2005, 02:50 PM

Default How much am I giving up by playing on Stars and not Party?

First a bit of background..

I know that I am a very strong player. I know that I am capable of beating 2/5 NL and 5/10 NL online.

For the first two years of my poker career I've had pretty terrible bankroll management. I treat my winnings as "found money" and reward myself with an impulse purchase. Consequently I've never had anywhere near the roll to consistently play the aforementioned 2/5, 5/10 etc. I've taken my shots (won and lost), but I think we all recognize the inherent pyschological edge that a properly bankrolled player has over an equally skilled but underbankrolled one.

Now I'm ready for more. I'm ready to build a roll and do it the right way. I had $400 sitting in my Stars account (no $ on Party) and fired up 4 tables of 0.5/1 NL (I realize this is considered ridiculously underbankrolled, more on that later). I've been beating the ever loving tar out of this game as expected -- run $400 into $2400 in a few days. Please no sermons on short term results -- there's no question that I can beat the hell out of these limits -- I've been doing it for years.

Like I said I want to do this right, so I'm going to stick at 0.5/1 NL until I hit the $4k mark and move on to 1/2. The goal here is to build as quick as possible to get up to the 2/4 limits and beyond ($8k+). Should I swap some money around and focus more on Party? The consensus from nearly all is that Party definitely has better games.

Can anyone comment on the differences in these games? Any idea what I might be giving up? Does it depend on playing style?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: How much am I giving up by playing on Stars and not Party?

party games are generally fishier but not by that much. also you might want to wait for all the dust to settle from party's recent move.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said I want to do this right, so I'm going to stick at 0.5/1 NL until I hit the $4k mark and move on to 1/2. The goal here is to build as quick as possible to get up to the 2/4 limits and beyond ($8k+)

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly if you want to build your roll as quickly as possible you should take shots at higher limits since you know you have the skill to beat them. for example when you reach $3k you can take a shot at $1/2. if you run bad and are back to $2k you drop back down to 0.5/1. if you don't run bad you stay at 1/2 and move up faster. it is even more +ev assuming you can beat the limits and you have the discipline to drop back down to the lower limit if you run bad. good luck.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you might want to wait for all the dust to settle from party's recent move.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the "recent move"? I have not played at Party for a while. I play at Stars.
Party has too many 4-tabling fishermen looking for fishes.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you might want to wait for all the dust to settle from party's recent move.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the "recent move"? I have not played at Party for a while. I play at Stars.
Party has too many 4-tabling fishermen looking for fishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

very big news 2 days ago:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1
Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM

If you're really motivated, try 10-tabling on the 100.00 tables at party. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This feature was just recently implemented. Although I tend to agree w/ the above statement regarding fishermen, there's a very good reason for this (Party has the most fish).

Dude, my hat's off to you for butchering the game in such a ridiculous manner!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:41 AM

I reached $4k today. Moving on to the 1/2 game..
Old 10-17-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I reached $4k today. Moving on to the 1/2 game..

[/ QUOTE ]

if u are destroying the .50/1 game as you say, then 1/2 you shouldn't have a problem... enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 03:32 PM

If you're really motivated, try 10-tabling on the 100.00 tables at party. This feature was just recently implemented.

What does this mean? You can 10 table at party now??? On all levels or just the $100 tables?