Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 PM

Default 2 big blinds, no small blind

What are the preflop strategy adjustments (if any) when playing Hold'em with 2 big blinds and no small blind (full table)?

I've been playing in some 1/2 limit games with this betting structure, and I'm not sure if I need to adjust my game much or not.

I play basically the same way from both blinds -- just a little tighter from the "1st" blind. Otherwise I've been playing the same as I would in a normal game.

Does the extra 1/2 SB in the pot plus the increased likelihood that both blinds will stay in to see the flop require a different approach?

Play more suited connectors? Raise fewer hands preflop? Raise more hands preflop?

Just wondering. If this has been discussed before, I would be grateful for a link. (I tried search, but "blind" is used in so many posts that I couldn't narrow the search down to anything useful...)
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: 2 big blinds, no small blind

i think really it doesnt make a difference i have rarely ever seen a chop in 1/2 NL anyways... but then again we go by session where i play.. stack sizes in perspective are probalby alot larger anyways so i wouldnt really adjust much...
Old 08-18-2005, 07:13 PM

I would imagine that in a 1/2 game, you're going to have so many massively multi-way pots that suited connectors are good anyway. Also, what's the difference between 7.5 small bets in the pot and 8? Play your normal game adjusted for the size of the pot and the number of people in the pot.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think really it doesnt make a difference i have rarely ever seen a chop in 1/2 NL anyways... but then again we go by session where i play.. stack sizes in perspective are probalby alot larger anyways so i wouldnt really adjust much...

[/ QUOTE ]
He's talking about 1/2 limit.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 PM

I think this would end up in more blind stealing attempts and looser blind defense. Overall more action slightly.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this would end up in more blind stealing attempts and looser blind defense. Overall more action slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely more action and blind defense. I don't think I've seen both blinds fold to a single late position raise yet (only played about 15 sessions though), and most hands get to the turn with at least 3 people.

Raising for value is a good idea; raising to limit the field is somewhat less successful.

This may have as much to do with the player population as with the game structure though.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Value raise more preflop because people will call lighter.

Steal raise less preflop because you stand a better chance of being called.

If you are the "small" blind, call possible steal raises more than you would in a normal game, but still less than you would in the big blind because BB might have a real hand.

In games where people automatically call a single raise from the BB, realize that practically every pot will be multiway and therefore be more likely to limp with drawing hands than you might otherwise.