Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 PM

Default fishy AJo hands

These hands alone convinced me never to play more than 2 tables until I either have another monitor or get much more proficient at this game (I'm about to roll into my 3rd month of playing.

Interpoker .25/.5

Hand 1: Believe it or not, I think I might have misplayed every street on this one. About 64% to the flop, avg. pot about 8 or 9 bets.

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in UTG+1

Preflop
1 fold, Hero calls, 1 fold, 2 calls, 1 fold, 2 calls, BB checks

I absolutely hate this hand in this position because it leads to way too many of the above situations. Is it strong enough to deserve a raise? Is that table dependent?

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7 handed, 7 SB)
SB bets, BB folds, Hero raises, 1 fold, 3 calls, SB 3-bets, Hero and 3 others call.

I don't think I want a cap here. SB is a tight, aggressive player. Unfortunately, the suited board, the number of the players in the hand, and his being in the SB kind of confuses me as to what he could be holding. 55, 66, 56, 78, 34, and nearly any jack are big possibilities. Overcards + flush draws not as likely, since he probably would have raised the likes of AQs etc. preflop.

Turn 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5-handed, 11BB)
SB checks, Hero checks, 3 checks

Pretty sure I goofed that bit up. As soon as he checked I immediately thought "that's the most blatant C/R attempt ever," and quickly checked behind and felt proud of myself. I'm pretty sure I missed an easy one there. My weak holding and the monstrous pot make me feel much worse about it.

River: 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 handed, 11BB)
SB bets, Hero calls, 2 folds and 1 call.

Should I have raised this river? I'm thinking I was playing far too read dependently this whole hand, especially considering all the others still in the pot.

Hand 2

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in BB

Preflop: UTG raises, 2 calls, 3 folds, 3 more calls and I call

I'm easily dominated here, but the pot is large and happy.

Flop J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7 handed, 14SB)
SB bets, Hero raises, UTG 3-bets, 2 folds and 2 calls, SB calls, Hero caps, 4 calls

I hit the flop hard but very dangerously. Super coordinated board with a 2 flush and straight possibilities. Capping seems to be a no-brainer here.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 handed, 17BB)
SB checks, Hero bets, UTG raises, 1 call, 1 fold, SB calls, Hero calls

That's about the last card I wanted to see. At least it wasn't the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG is the last person I'd expect to have benefitted from this. I'm almost sure someone has hit a flush or UTG has me dominated with AA, AK, or KK. Should I have held off on the feeler bet? I think so. A monstrous 25BB pot heading to the river, and I'm praying for the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, other checks

That's a pretty crappy way to end the hand. I almost hit my boat, but I missed it so I check.

Thoughts? Criticisms of my thought process are as welcome (or more) than criticisms of my play, as usual.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: fishy AJo hands

Hand #1 I open raise pre-flop...your re-raise after the flop was fine IMO, I'd raise the turn, this may be a stop and go as much as it would be a check-raise, again reads are key in situations such as this.

Hand #2
I personally would have tossed the AJo in the BB after the inital raise and the callers, as you said domination seems to be on the menu. The flop is dicey to say the least. Anyone limping with KQ has a nice straight and people have the odds to draw to their flush, lots of money so up to you, I wouldnt be doing too much rasing.

Hope it paid off for you.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 1:
Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in UTG+1

Preflop
1 fold, Hero calls, 1 fold, 2 calls, 1 fold, 2 calls, BB checks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise here.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think I want a cap here. SB is a tight, aggressive player. Unfortunately, the suited board, the number of the players in the hand, and his being in the SB kind of confuses me as to what he could be holding. 55, 66, 56, 78, 34, and nearly any jack are big possibilities. Overcards + flush draws not as likely, since he probably would have raised the likes of AQs etc. preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a lone flush draw? He might be rasing with Ax spades since he's getting proper odds to raise.

I'd also bet the turn. Most players realize they can't get a check raise twice in a row and will bet out the strong hands. I think its more likely that he was on a flush draw raising for value on the flop and is now planning to check and call.

The river is tough to say. I would probably just call since many hands that he would bet in this spot will fold to a raise. But I'm not confident about this suggestion.

Hand 2 I would check call the turn and probably fold an unimrpoved river. Given the action I think your probably done here.

-z
Old 07-24-2005, 07:16 PM

I think the pot is too big to lay it down on the river. Is folding really correct here?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:20 PM

I only have to be right 4% of the time to call the river, which is pretty much the only time I would call it.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:15 PM

hand #1: bet the turn

hand #2: i think i'd just be happy to check/call this entire hand down. pot is HUGE, you could have the best hand, but it is WAAAAY too coordinated for my liking. only due to pot size will i call this down, but by the turn i'm wishing i had folded this preflop [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 12:31 AM

Hand #1
I raise this preflop. Given your read on the sb I think your play is fine, especially if you think he hit a set or 2 pair on the flop.

Hand #2
I call this everytime from the BB getting 14:1. Alhough AJ may not be a super premium holding it's going to win more than it;s fair share of pots. The K on the turn is unfortunate but the pot is so big you've got to grit your teeth and call down with two pair.