Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 07-20-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Too passive??

My question is how you guys play 5th street here... Perhaps I played it too passive... Seat 1 is a pretty big fish
and seat 3 is a little too loose, but not a terrible player.

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (2.30 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.15 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (6.15 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.15 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (12.15 BB)
Old 07-20-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Too passive??

i check-raise fifth and probably call it down even though the K pairs his door. i can't put the K on trips on sixth because he's been so passive throughout the hand. 222 is not a big enough set to be passive with, i think you've gotta try for the check-raise.

he would've raised fourth with a flush draw, and he would've raised third with kings, right?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:47 PM

I doubt that you won this hand. But you never know. He could have limped with a pocket pair.

Aside from the 3rd street call (that I think should be a fold) I think this hand was played well enough. I wouldn't be real mad if you decided to raise, with trips you are drawing pretty live to the FH....so if you are behind it isn't the end of the world. But I'd probably just call, incase I was behind, and to keep from scaring off any other takers
Old 07-20-2005, 05:55 PM

I would usually fold on 3rd but that’s just me.
4th is where things get ugly…easy fold IMO. You have a pair of deuces and a dead 3-flush. That really isn’t all that great.

I did some math and it seems to suggest that 5th is a call. I just assume he can have any pair lower that jacks as well as two clubs:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="white"> __ </font> 36 ways
99 <font color="white">_____ </font> 3 ways
KK <font color="white">_____ </font> 3 ways
33-TT <font color="white">_ </font> 25 ways

So you’re ahead 25 times and behind 42 times (this assumes that he wouldn’t slow play split kings on 3rd in that spot).

I’m not sure though… the right play could still be to just bet out and hope that seat 8 will call one bet and then one more if seat 3 raises. I would have to do some more math to at least get some idea what the better play could be, but I’m too tired right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Edit: I just thought about this some more and noticed that my math is completely off if he is the type of player that would limp on 3rd with three big cards. There are nine broadway cards left in the deck on 5th (discounting kings), so there are 36 ways he can have two of them in the hole.
Which would mean that your ahead 61 times and behind 42 times…
Old 07-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Too loose..what made you call on third with three spades out on third The A, Q and J of spades out) And such a crappy flush draw to begin with (low and with a dead 7 too).

This is a decision you should never have had to make. But, now that you are stuck, I guess calling is fine.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM

I only thought 2 spades were dead and was in last position, I totally missed that 3rd spade i would have mucked it immediately... Maybe I shouldn't play 4 tables.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

he would've raised fourth with a flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Things here:

1.) The correct play for his opponent is not to raise here in an unraised pot with two players left to act. He should draft.. Maybe a case could be made for raising cause he has a king or somethning.. but......

2.) Why do you give people the credit of playing a 4 flush correctly when so many people view it as a draw? If more people knew how to play 4 flushes, this game would be a lot harder to beat.