Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Detailed question: Folding a winner to preserve tight image

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I say "Yes" can we end discussion on this thread immediately?

[/ QUOTE ]

What if showing your cards would cause you great shame or humiliation? Like, say if you're at a live table and you get a booger on the underside of one of your cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'd show down, collect the pot and commit seppuku using the nearest craps table's rake.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if showing your cards would cause you great shame or humiliation? Like, say if you're at a live table and you get a booger on the underside of one of your cards?

I think I would fold in that situation. That's not for everyone, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH...Go play for a little bit and come back when you have a hand/situation worthy of discussion. I think everyone will appreciate it
Old 07-16-2005, 05:12 PM

I must say, I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest this here before.

I am never (knowingly) folding a winning hand. Ever. When I'm at the table I'm there mostly to win.

Your "tight" image lets you push the table around more. But if you really are a tight player, and people see you as wild, loose and crazy, you're going to get tons of action you otherwise normally would not get. People will lower their calling standards cause they think you're an idiot. Now you, playing tight, solid poker, can pick these weak calldowns off at will.

In fact, it's probably +EV to LAG it up for the first orbit or so, then go back to playing tight.

So the answer to your question is: NO. Do the exact opposite. Hold your head up, show your winning hand to everyone, say that they're your "lucky cards" and you "just had a feeling", and people will be paying you off all night.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:22 PM

To fold a winner to preserve your image, you must be sure of one thing: Your image will allow you to win more bets than you lost by folding a winner.

At .25/.5, this does not happen. You can fold every hand for 10 rotations, and 50% of the table still won't notice. The only ones who have the ability to do so are probably multi-tabling and not paying too much attention to you anyway. If the limits were 10 times higher, I might reconsider, but still only then in a very small pot.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I'd like to know is, how many of you would lay down a winning hand here to preserve your tight image?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really want to say something caustic and sarcastic here, but you're new and I'm basically a nice guy so I'll pass.

Look, we've all had hands where we misclicked and Homered our way into the nuts. It happens. I absolutely love showing these hands down, and I pray to God that every player at the table makes a note when they see me show down 85o after I PFRed (accidentally). Next time I'll have the goods and get to sing my "eat it little bitches" song while dragging the pot they contested because they wrongly thought I had junk again.

Edit: Is this a troll post?
Old 07-16-2005, 05:48 PM

I sort of see where your going... but you should never fold the winning hand.

Your playing low limit and only have played 30 hands. Nobody will have got you worked out yet. Most won't even notice that you called with a bad hand.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: Is this a troll post?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a post by a newbie who thinks too much, followed by some self-deprecatory humor. The administrator should feel free to delete it.

[ QUOTE ]
To fold a winner to preserve your image, you must be sure of one thing: Your image will allow you to win more bets than you lost by folding a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's kinda where I was heading.

[ QUOTE ]
At .25/.5, this does not happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood.