Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 07-02-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Proper handling of AA or Take it like a man :grin:

Here it is, fire away, maybe should of just pushed it all int preflop in hind sight but Probably wouldn't have lost but wouldn't have gained much either. Just not fond of the all-in AA preflop thing.

Not sure what else could of done besides toss it on the flop, hard to do.

Am I missing something that I should look at next time...

Thanks for your review and flames lol

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

Hero ($49.25)
MP1 ($50)
MP2 ($15)
CO ($52.55)
Button ($90.35)
SB ($40.05)
BB ($48)
UTG ($38.5)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP1 calls $1, MP2 calls $1, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($6.25) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $12</font>, MP2 calls $12, CO folds, Button folds, BB folds, Hero calls $42.25 (All-In), MP1 calls $36.25, MP2 calls $2 (All-In).

Turn: ($116.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($116.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $116.75

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ac Ad (one pair, aces).
MP1 has Ts Js (two pair, jacks and tens).
MP2 has 3h 8h (one pair, eights).
Outcome: MP1 wins $116.75. </font>
Old 07-02-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Proper handling of AA or Take it like a man :grin:

More details about how players at the table are acting would be helpful, but you gotta find the happy medium. The choice isnt between $1 and all-in, you gotta find the happy medium. Why not bet somewhere in the $3-$4 neighborhood. Yeah, sometimes everyone folds preflop, but when someone does call, theres a few bucks in the pot and you have him dominated. Granted, some players are still gonna call with TJ, or suckout on you, but the most you can hope for is to eliminate drawing hands. More often than not hands like AK, AQ, AJ, KK-88, will stick around and pay you off more often then not. AA looks real good two or three handed, rather than a full table seeing a flop.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:12 PM

umm.... excuse me.... did you say that you "probably should have pushed all-in preflop" ...... is that a joke?

Min-raising with aces is one of the worst things you can do. I'm not sure how to play the rest of my hand because I never let the situation occur.

Just put out a decent sized raise.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:22 PM

I think that you should've raised more preflop. A minraise is not going to get many people out of the hand and while you have the best hand preflop, with 5 callers or so... you are definitely not doing too well. Let's say that preflop you are 55% to win the hand vs five other hands, and all of the other hands only have 10% or so to win it. You still aren't winning a lot because you are only winning half the time. THis isn't the right math, i'm just saying that with so many callers and such a weak raise preflop, you are giving them odds to call and catch something. Summary, raise more preflop with your hands when you decide you are going to raise.

On the flop, after he reraises the flop, I don't think I'm raising all in. I think that calling and then leading the turn will give you more information. I know AA is hard to lay down but if he reraises the turn again, I'm pretty sure I'm behind. He may be on a draw, I've seen donks at this level call on gut shots... but even more so at this level, when a guy minraises you he can beat one pair.

I think that AA and KK are hard to lay down but you are going to lose a lot of money when you don't learn to do it.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:58 PM

your miniraise with AA is atrocious...if u do this regularly, u are the reason why people make so much money playing online poker.

on a side note, thats a great call by MP2 on the flop
Old 07-02-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

on a side note, thats a great call by MP2 on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously. Where are these guys at my tables?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 PM

When I play limit I jam with this and people aren't scared off, but first in 4X the blind at nl50 and there wouldn't have been a person left on the board...

I could be wrong though, maybe just bad luck before, sucks to pick up .75 cents with AA LOL

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co
Old 07-03-2005, 12:08 AM

You know what sucks worse? Being stacked with AA when the action is screaming that you're beaten.

If you just HAVE to try and pick up as much loose money as you can preflop, a limp-reraise seems like a much wiser tactic, but this is a play best made when there are aggressive players in late position who are likely to raise. If your attempt backfires and many players see the flop for cheap, you must bet or check-raise the flop strongly to find out where you are at and be cautious in the face of resistance. Barring special table conditions, however, I think your best play is to make a standard 4xBB raise &amp; think about increasing your early-position raising range if your raises are getting too much respect.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:07 AM

if you aren't getting action on your premium hands, raise more hands or raise with junk and show them, not raise less with premium hands.