Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 05-09-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Move up or add table(s)?

I've been 2-tabling the 100NL 6max on Party/skins since about February, beating them at a pretty good rate. I'm confident I'm a winning player at that limit.

I have enough in the BR that I could comfortably play 200, but there are so few 6 max tables at that level, I wonder if it's worth it.

Would you recommend moving up or adding a third (and possibly 4th later) table at 100NL? At 3 tables I think I could play my normal game, At 4 6 max tables I'd prety much have to just nut peddle.

Whaddaya think?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Move up or add table(s)?

why not add another table, if you are beating it then do it, after you feel comfortable with a 3rd go fro a 4th and then move up to the 200NL game, are you playing ABC poker?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why not add another table, if you are beating it then do it, after you feel comfortable with a 3rd go fro a 4th and then move up to the 200NL game, are you playing ABC poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play a fairly solid TAG game (at least by 6 max standards), but not pure nut peddling by any means. I'm aggressive with strong draws, make bluffs if i feel someone is suceptible to them, and can effectively represent a hand, etc.

My game does depend on reads to some extent, that's why I feel 4 tables of 6 max would be hard for me to pull off and play my normal game. I think I can do 3 with practice, though. I 4-tabled 2/4 and 3/6 limit without too much trouble.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Part of the answer to your question involves what you want to get out of poker. If you just want money, its probably lower risk and more profitable to add tables. If you want to be able to beat the biggest games on the planet someday, fewer tables and higher stakes will get you there faster than cranking out hands at lower levels.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of the answer to your question involves what you want to get out of poker. If you just want money, its probably lower risk and more profitable to add tables. If you want to be able to beat the biggest games on the planet someday, fewer tables and higher stakes will get you there faster than cranking out hands at lower levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I do want to move up, at least to the 5/10 level eventually. That's why I am moving away from my former nut peddling game.

However for the next 2-3 months I will be making monthly withdrawals, paying off some debt. SO for now I'll add a table or 2 and focus on making money. When I can leave the roll alone for a while I'll focus on moving up. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Try both. I mean whatever makes the most money is the best. You need to convert this to money not just BB/hr.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:26 PM

If the periodic withdrawals are only temporary (you said a couple months in your post), I think you're better off adding tables. Your variance will be lower and I suspect you will be more comfortable. Once the debts are taken care of, the next level up will still be there.

You will, of course, continue to improve even at the levels you're already beating so its not like your skills will plateau until you move up; they just won't improve as rapidly as if you played tougher competition.

Good luck.