Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Biggest flaw in my game

Why didn't you raise TT from late position preflop? It certainly would have helped in your quest to get money in, assuming villain had an ace.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:13 PM

Your opponent was probably either on a stone-cold bluff, or had ace with a weak kicker. Sure, maybe he had something like 88 or 99, but it's highly likely from his overbets that he had nothing at all and was trying to steal.

If he had KQ or some such, semi-bluffing with an inside straight draw, you're right not to let him see a river free, and $50 doesn't give him the right odds unless you'll call a big bet if he hits it. In that case, you'd want to raise more to give him worse implied odds, but the amount depends on how much money you each have left.

I'd probably raise sometimes there and call sometimes, depending on a lot of factors, not the least of which is my opponents style and our stack sizes. Usually, I'd figure he's very weak and give him one more chance to make a mistake. If he's got a lot of chips, I want to get him committed if he's sitting on an ace.

But don't underestimate the value of mixing up your play when you flop a monster -- if you play it the same every time, good players will pick up on that. Maybe that's why you complain that this type of hand poses problems for you. Maybe you only raise the minimum when you want callers. So bet more. And bluff with a minimum raise once in a while.

Don't be afraid to try different things there. Rarely, I might even consider pushing all in with that, but usually I want to give my opponent more rope to hang himself.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you raise TT from late position preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2005, 10:35 PM

i dont think this was a bad play if you have been making min. raises a lot. But if you r only doing this with real strength it will kill your action. I like to smoothe call again with position and hope for a safe card on the turn which is about half the cards in the deck. if u put him on a strong ace u have to smoothe call and raise the river. if you put him on a draw your raise serves little purpose because hell only call with hands that can beat you. I think you either raise 3 times his bet on the turn or smoothe call and hope to cash in on a river bluff.