Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 AM

Default The move of honor: an extra bonus (low content)

Hi, all.

Wayfare, I've really enjoyed your discussions (and the recent magazine article) on the utility of immediately pushing with AA and KK in small stakes NL games.

This is a move I stumbled onto myself a while back when I first played NL online , although I eventually stopped doing it due to a feeling (probably wrong) that I was winning only the blinds too often. But recently I've started doing it again and PokerTracker tells me it works very well thank you: I've seen something like a 30-40% call rate. And of course it works even better if someone if someone has put in even the smallest of PF raises, as they assume you're trying to make a monkey out of them. (Which I guess you are, just not in the way they suspect.)

An unanticipated bonus for me are the fantastically enjoyable lectures I get from the table coaches about why I'm such a fool for grossly overbetting the pot. It usually goes something like this:

A few limpers, maybe a min-raiser.
Me in MP with AA: push.
All fold. (Oh well, next time.)

Well-meaning table coach: That's crazy.
Me: Huh?
WMTC: If you bet that much, only aces and kings will call.
Me: OK, good point.
WMTC: No one's going to call unless they beat you.
Me: You're right, I'm an idiot.
Other player: Shut up dude, let him keep doing it.
Other other player: Yeah, and we'll get all his money.
WMTC: Just trying to help the guy.

Even funnier is when they lecture you while deciding whether to call, and perhaps exchange some discussion about who's got a good enough hand to punish the all-in idiot, and then one of them calls for their stack with 99. Hours of family fun.

On a slightly more sensible note: is there anyone out there playing Party $100, $50 or $25 NL who never uses this move? If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to know what your average PTBB score is for AA. One of the reasons I went back to the move of honor was the realization that AA and KK didn't have such monstrous average wins per hand anyway, and so if you could get a 4:1 shot at someone's stack about a third of the time, and just pick up limps and blinds the other two-thirds of the time, that was actually a very good deal. (Sorry, not at my poker computer right now or I'd post my own AA numbers. Will do so in follow-up.)
Old 01-07-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: The move of honor: an extra bonus (low content)

It's weird, every time I see this being employed(immediate stack push), it's never with AA. It's normally with mid-pp. I wish I had my PT notes on this, but I'm at work right now. I do know my numbers on win percentage not employing this strategy with AA are high enough as is, but I don't have the breakdown to see which method is better.

I normally find that if there's a min raiser, and you reraise them a large enough amount(not your whole stack), they think you're trying to pull a move on them just the same. I'd be interested in different numbers, too.