Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Default TT overpair faces turn action -- easy decision?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero???

So what would you do? My overpair plus gutshot draw now faces a paired board and a possible flush, but may well still be good.

Pokertracker gave me a decent read on MP3 as loose-passive before the flop with surprising aggression afterwards. (Although I am ashamed to say I didn't check my notes fast enough to take this into account.) No reads on button as he had only just sat down.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: TT overpair faces turn action -- easy decision?

Id fold. Dont let the SF draw suck you in. Theres a good chance that neither a heart nor non heart 7 wins this for you. Id probably call for one bet though.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:50 PM

People will probably disagree, but I would only call this if it was a "Bad beat Jackpot" table
Old 11-06-2004, 07:04 PM

Let's assume you're behind.

You're getting 12:2 and it's quite possible you will get 3-bet or capped behind on the turn. You can make several strong hands and still lose.

You have 1 out to the nuts,
2 outs to the best boat
2 outs to an eights full of tens boat
8 outs to a not great flush
and 3 outs to a decent straight.

Some of those outs suck. I'd still call.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Bison, I take it your suggestion is to call and fold the river unimproved?

Results in white, in case people want to comment further without reading them:
<font color="white"> Surprising stuff, at least to me. MP2 had 55, and button rather unbelievably had AQo (one heart). My hand was good, and would have made a nice full house on the river when an 8 fell. I knew MP2 could be full of it, but was very surprised to see that button was pulling a complete bluff turn raise into 2 opponents.</font>