Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-03-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Call, call, call

You can see the UTG is posting, and this is his very first hand at the table. The rest of the table is pretty loose passive.

If there's anything that I would change, I think I would raise the river because it's heads up.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 12-03-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Call, call, call

Hey Aaron,

I don't know how you can't raise that river against an unknown.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:50 AM

Don't play games in this pot. It's 4.5 BB already Raise the flop and knock out SB and BB. Or make them call two.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:53 AM

But why, though? The only OC is the A. There aren't any draws. Any 3 has us [censored] anyway. Who are we trying to drive out?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:54 AM

I think that river is a 100% must raise, always. I might raise the turn though. No guarantee he bets the river, and you might end up with only 2 BBs, instead of 3+.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:32 AM

This is a very good hand to post. Flop and turn play are A+ poker, and something I haven't worked into my game well. The question for me is the river. Given the propensity of players to slowplay trips, I think you're good on the river often enough to raise. I'd probably even call a 3bet since the pot would be pretty big, but that's likely wrong.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:41 AM

Grunch:

Raaaaaiiiiiissssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the river.

You strung him up. Time to let him drop.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:46 AM

Hey Aaron,

Nice hand. I think if you raise this river you have to be prepared to fold to a raise. Which is difficult against a complete unknown. Man, I have to work on my flop and turn play after reading this.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But why, though? The only OC is the A. There aren't any draws. Any 3 has us [censored] anyway. Who are we trying to drive out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I over emphasized knocking out SB and BB. You raise because you clearly have the best hand and want to get money in the pot. He may 3-bet you with a Q. It may get CC behind you. Maybe you wait til the turn, but I'm not waiting for the river ever here.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:02 AM

Raise the turn. Although its likely UTG has a Q and will value bet most rivers, i think there is a good chance he has a PP or maybe even a weak Ace and will freeze up on the river.

Your thought process is good but with two hearts, 2 connected cards and the likelyhood of an ace sitting around i think you need to raise the turn... apart from all that its for value.