Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Stars 180 Final Table hand - How freaking weak tight is this??

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t119237)
Hero (t65365)
UTG (t49492)
Button (t35906)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t6000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t15000</font>, SB calls t9000.

Flop: (t30300) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t12000</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t42300

Just doublechecking my dumba$$ self on this one - the correct play was to PUSH on the flop to his probe bet correct?? Does anyone think folding was correct?

Also, should I have just pushed preflop and saved myself the heartache?

Ugg...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Stars 180 Final Table hand - How freaking weak tight is this??

What read did you have on villain?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very agressive, very active. This FT had turned into a blind stealing fest. I really put him on a blind steal, hence the reraise. I thought that would shut him down and I actually had a decent hand as back up. After he bet the flop, I kinda froze. I knew he did not have an 8, but thought he might have a 9.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very agressive, very active. This FT had turned into a blind stealing fest. I really put him on a blind steal, hence the reraise. I thought that would shut him down and I actually had a decent hand as back up. After he bet the flop, I kinda froze. I knew he did not have an 8, but thought he might have a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think a push preflop was the right play ...

i don't like the amount of your raise becauase it represents a decent amount of your stack and AJ is a difficult hand to play if you miss the flop (like you did). with a push preflop, you'd have a lot of folding equity and your AJs would be in good shape against an active player who'd raise with a very wide range of hands if he did end up calling.

once he bets into you on the flop, i'm folding too ... sure, he might be bluffing because he assumes you had two big cards and missed the flop but even deuces beat you at this point and you don't have much folding equity anymore.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:27 PM

I prob would have just pushed the flop, knowing I had the best hand and hope for a weak ace or KQ to call. I dont think he hit the board at all but if you didnt have an overpair (in his mind) its a pretty tough board to push on after he leads. If I was in his position I prob would have done the same thing.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:25 AM

Thanks guys. I agree - push preflop was the best line.

Next time..... :-)
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 AM

push preflop is best line