Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Sleep Apnea Surgery - any experiences with UPPP?

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea three years ago and was prescribed a CPAP. I don't like using it, comfort issues sometimes make it ineffective. To make a long story short, I am scheduled to have UPPP and tongue reduction surgeries on December 1. Does anyone here have any experience with these? I have heard it it extremely painful for several days post-surgery.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Sleep Apnea Surgery - any experiences with UPPP?

I have no experience with this surgery. I am very interested in the outcome though. Please update the thread or PM me with experiences.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 PM

I'd get a second opinion before undergoing radical surgery.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:43 PM

I'd try a better/different CPAP before surgery. My wife has serious apnea, and recently switched CPAPs. This one is a MUCH more comfortable one with variable pressure and a better mask.

Then get a second opinion.

If better/different CPAP fails and second opinion agrees, get the surgery. Sleep apnea can really make life more difficult.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:57 PM

I had that surgery for snoring. It was ineffective.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no experience with this surgery. I am very interested in the outcome though. Please update the thread or PM me with experiences.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I will keep you posted.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd get a second opinion before undergoing radical surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]
The second opinion really depends on what type of doctor I see. Respiratory docs almost always insist on CPAP's. ENT's will want to operate in many cases. Neurologists also work with apnea and most likely recommend CPAP.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd try a better/different CPAP before surgery. My wife has serious apnea, and recently switched CPAPs. This one is a MUCH more comfortable one with variable pressure and a better mask.

Then get a second opinion.

If better/different CPAP fails and second opinion agrees, get the surgery. Sleep apnea can really make life more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've tried several masks and have decided that I don't want to use a CPAP for the rest of my life. I have alot of other medical problems and this is an attempt to make things easier for myself over the long run.

I have read some bad stories about UPPP, but I have studied it alot. The medical profession generally says that the UPPP alone is a success in roughly 70% of cases. (I don't know how they define success) I think it is important to remember that if someone has problems with a CPAP that can't be reasonably fixed (allergies, comfort, etc.), then CPAP is not 100% effective either. Also, if the surgery can reduce the level of apnea from a severe to a very mild case where the CPAP is no longer needed, then I would consider that a success.

I have a large uvula (the fatty mass at the top back part of the mouth). When I am tired I can feel this blocking my air (when I am awake). When I used to drink, it would sometimes flap excessively when talking or laying in a certain position. IMO, if this obstruction were removed, my breathing would have to become easier.

Also, most articles I have read say that this surgery is most successful when performed with a similar surgery (to further correct the blocked airway). So the tongue reduction should help also.

My doctor also said that no matter what surgical procedures were performed that sleep apnea would probably be a problem again if I were to gain alot of weight. For other health reasons I have to control my weight, so that won't be an issue.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:36 PM

Since sleep apnea can be a dangerous thing if untreated and you are uncomfortable with the mask, it seems that surgery would be the only other option. I would personally get your doctors definition of success regarding the surgery however, as you don't ever want to go under the knife if it is not going to be fairly helpful.

Good luck to you brother. My dad has a horrible time with his CPAP, but he is not willing to have the surgery at this point.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it seems unlikely, but are you AT ALL overweight?