Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Scraping foetus off the wheel

I don't see you hoping on a plane to get you health care treatment from cuba, or even France for that matter.

In fact, where does everyone come when they are sick?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 PM

Lehighguy,
If I would become sick I would get free healthcare in Norway. If the Norwegian government would consider my disease to be so special that expertise/treatment isn't good enough in Norway, they would send me abroad. Then, I would likely be sent to the US, since many of the leading hospitals are there. The same situation in many other European countries, I think.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:00 PM

You are ducking the issue.

Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate than the US (as does Macau, Slovenia, not to mention much of the European world). This appears to be a statistical fact. Now if you state that this particular statistic is irrelevant, OK at least we understand each other.

I still contend that this table is an absolute shocker. That our society cannot do as well as Cuba is protecting small childre, is and should be a shocker. You can choose to ignore the statistic if you like. If you have an explanation for the statistic, that would be interesting -- statements about where I would go for treatment are irrelevant, unless you show the connection.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That our society cannot do as well as Cuba is protecting small childre, is and should be a shocker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it shocks you, I advise you to look deeper into this issues or travel more (not meant as insult).
Old 12-08-2005, 04:00 AM

Your post implies that the fact that Cuba has a better infant mortality rate means it's a better health care system. This is absolutely silly.

When people say we have the best healthcare in the world they mean we have the best drugs, hospitals, doctors, equipment, and facilities. We also have shorter waiting lists and more healthcare options.

The fact that foriegners come here to be treated is a reflection of these things.

Kids aren't getting treated, that sucks. But it isn't the end all be all in determining the quality of healthcare.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:12 AM

Part of why medical care is so good in the US is because it is privatised. There is more incentive for people to become doctors or open hospitals here. Also, most new drugs are deeveloped here because we offer them generous patents and prices.

To my knowledge, there is a shortage of such services and R+D in Europe. In general I feel universal healthcare is often a way of partying now at the expense of tommorrow. For instance, if you won't pay drug makers alot for a new drug then they will stop developing them.

America basically subsidizes most advances in healthcare, as these would not take place in the European framework because of the incentive scheme.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:51 AM

I agree that the subject needs deeper study.

I expect that I have travelled more than most on this forum and have lived (notjust visited) on three continents.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post implies that the fact that Cuba has a better infant mortality rate means it's a better health care system. This is absolutely silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any implication drawn from my post is your own.

My post was quite clear. The statistic in the table shocks me. This is not the same as saying that the Cuban Health System is better or that treatment of cancer or other disease is better in Cuba that in the US or anyother conclusion that you have drawn. All it is saying is that if you are an infant you are better off in Cuba than in the US.

My statement is simple -- it is shocking that the best healthcare system in the world has an infant mortality rate that is lower than that of a third rate dictatatorship with few resourcse such as Cuba.

If you are willing to dismiss the statistic as meaningless because we are better able to cure cancer in 70 year olds, or perfrom heart-lung transplants on the same demographic then that is your perogative.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of why medical care is so good in the US is because it is privatised. There is more incentive for people to become doctors or open hospitals here. Also, most new drugs are deeveloped here because we offer them generous patents and prices.

To my knowledge, there is a shortage of such services and R+D in Europe. In general I feel universal healthcare is often a way of partying now at the expense of tommorrow. For instance, if you won't pay drug makers alot for a new drug then they will stop developing them.

America basically subsidizes most advances in healthcare, as these would not take place in the European framework because of the incentive scheme.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have commercial drug making industry and a few private hospitals as well, in addition to resultsbased research funding etc.; so there are some incentives. However, I think you are right they are stronger in the US.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our infants, statistically, do worse than Cuba.

I certainly would not have expected that ranking. The table is a shocker!

[/ QUOTE ]

Who controls the publishing of statistics in Cuba? What impartial organization verified these findings?