Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Things Lon McEachern needs to stop saying

Lon is play-by-play.
Michael Konik is color-commentary.

The FSN play-by-play announcer is Chris Rose (who I think does a pretty decent job).

I agree with the general sentiment that the play-by-play announcer needs to cater to the masses.
That's just how it is.
It is Lon's responsibility to explain what the check-mark means...as long as he stays in the hand, he will win.
He's not necessarily specifically addressing the praciticality of a player folding with the best hand. He's just saying, "this guy has the best hand."

Over and over there are players who don't understand how someone could have folded the winning hand just because they can't picture how the scenario would look if they couldn't see both players' hole-cards.

It looks obvious to the casual viewer, "of course he's not going to fold...he has the best hand."
many casual viewers would think this even if a player just had pocket 2's vs an opponent's unimproved-any-cards.
"How could he fold?? He had the best hand!!"

The fact is....the coverage isn't going to change.
The drama is in the situations where someone's "tournament life is at stake".
People that don't know much about poker are really only interested when someone gets the guts to push all their chips in or someone gets eliminated. This is espeically true if someone gets eliminated on a bad-beat.

Poker on TV is as much about personalities and eliminations and big-money as it is anything else.

I'm not thrilled with the announcing and coverage on ESPN and WPT either. But there's been a lot of talk lately about the annoying player-profile pieces and all the all-in's that they show.
I think that to expect for anything more than what we are currently getting is quite unrealistic.