Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Default California School Requiring Ebonics

link

[ QUOTE ]
"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously...why is an educational system furthering the misuse of the English language? Isn't it enough of a problem that so many people living in America already only speak a foreign language? Do we really need to create a new one to add to the problem? I know America does not have an official language, but why are so many trying their best to encourage others not to learn proper English when they know that it will be beneficial to them?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: California School Requiring Ebonics

[ QUOTE ]
link

[ QUOTE ]
"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira said. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously...why is an educational system furthering the misuse of the English language? Isn't it enough of a problem that so many people living in America already only speak a foreign language? Do we really need to create a new one to add to the problem? I know America does not have an official language, but why are so many trying their best to encourage others not to learn proper English when they know that it will be beneficial to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mang, why you gotta be hatin like that? Jus like da man to come down rough on some peeps jus straight livin, tryin a make a dolla outta fiteen cent. Lemme axe you sumpin muthafucka, how'd u feel wif dis glock ticklin yo tonsils. sheeeit...
Old 07-18-2005, 02:21 PM

Ebonics is a name that white people made up to describe someting that linguistics already call AAVE.

The post above mine sucks.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ebonics is a name that white people made up to describe someting that linguistics already call AAVE.

The post above mine sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought i'd get the obvious reply over and done with. sorry for the lack of amusement. i couldn't help myself.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:27 PM

pig latin has more of a claim to being a language than ebonics.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 PM

what i really hate is when white people are conversing with black people (this is mostly 16-25 white males to their black counterparts) and try to "talk black". this pisses me off to no end.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 PM

This is ridiculously stupid.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 PM

Dibs is right. All ebonics or AAVE or BVE is is a low-prestige dialect of English. If it helps the kids learn the Broadcast Standard English that will help them get jobs later in life, I can't imagine why this would be problematic.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
link

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend summed it up best 8 years ago when this first turned up in Oakland, "I've had bad grammar all my life, but I don't get to call it a language." That said, what Bison said has merit, but I think this could be a slippery slope.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it helps the kids learn the Broadcast Standard English that will help them get jobs later in life, I can't imagine why this would be problematic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If AAVE is a deviation of "the broadcast standard English," then it would stand to reason that you would already have a grasp of the fundamentals of speech if you were using a colloquial version of it. Don't teach someone how do something that is 80% wrong so that the 20% that is right will be retained. If someone were using the word "ain't," then they would seem to have a good concept of when and where to use "am not." Why settle for the fact that they get the general idea when you could show them how to speak properly?