Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Questions for you all, plus an introduction!

Hello all twoplustwo'ers!

I'm new to this board, and poker discussion forums on the whole.
I've been lurking here for the past few weeks, reading and digesting some of the many interesting posts. There sure is a lot of knowledge and points of view here, which can only be a good thing.
I'm making this post to firstly say hi, and secondly to ask you all a few questions!
So you know my 'background', I've been playing small stakes Limit ($1/$2) and No Limit ($0.50/$1) Hold'Em on William Hill, plus I like to enter a few low buy in Tourneys and Satellites (usually with good results - finishing in the money, or just shy). I play with a very small bankroll at the moment (started with approx. £25 - was playing for fun). Now up to £80 and still playing for enjoyment and learning, but would like to make a return of approx £200 - £300 a month by playing 3 evenings a week, for approx 2 hours. That gives me a target of £12.50 per hour profit - which should easily be attainable by me (I hope).

What I'd like to know is a few things:

a) I'm using the demo of Poker Tracker at the moment, and being a bit of a stat lover I'm really enjoying it. I've used BisonBisons rankings for the AutoRate, and I was wondering exactly how these ratings should be used - I.E: What should I learn when playing against a LA-P for example.

b) On No Limit, I'm currently a rock (TP-P) - is this good/bad?!?!

c) On Limit, I'm currently a frowning green face (sLA-P) (I was happy at one point - sLA-A) is this good/bad?!?!

d) What are some good books to read? I've got the Hellmuth and Lee Jones (Winning Low Limit) books on my Amazon wishlist - any others that are good for my basic level of play?

e) Are there other useful features/stats I should be looking at on Poker Tracker?

Sorry for the questions above. I realise they are all quite 'wide open' and require large responses. I'm just doing my best to maximise my learning and the tools at my disposal.

Many thanks, and might see you online!

Craig